driver door handle wont open from the outside

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

goodwin12

driver door handle wont open from the outside

Postby goodwin12 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:00 pm

well it is as the subject says any help would be appreciated. thanks

goodwin12

sicknoteN7

Postby sicknoteN7 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:19 pm

Sounds like the wire from the handle to the lock mech has come lose or snaped

goodwin12

Postby goodwin12 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:25 pm

Is there a way to fix it I have taken the door panel off I just don't know what to look for from there can't really see to much at the handle

sicknoteN7

Postby sicknoteN7 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:33 pm

U might have to take door card of I will have a look at mine 2morrow

goodwin12

Postby goodwin12 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:24 pm

Ya I have to door panel off I have tried to look but I am not sure what it would look like or how I can get to it better to see / fix it. I am sure its from the cold it got down in the - 50 when it messed up.

goodwin12

Postby goodwin12 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:18 pm

Just wondering if anyone has thought of anything any help would be great

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:15 am

Hey,

I just had that happen to me two months ago. Got in the car, drove for about 8 hrs in sub zero temps half the way (washed my car a few days earlier) when I got to my destination the inside latch didnt open or the outside one. I had to climb out my window. The next day I took the inside door panel out, raised the window and poked my head around where I could see in the locking mechanism. By then it had warmed up enough that i could open the door from the inside.turns out that the night before water from when i washed my car, trickled in around the hinge mechanism and froze it in place. when i forced it i broke the clip inside that holds a ball in place with a metal wire attached to the ball. when you pull your latch, the clip goes up and pulls the ball and wire with it unlocking the door. best part is this is behind the door frame out of sight
I was forced to take it into the dealership and 350$ later my door worked. here were my symptoms: door would not open inside latch was very hard to pull, outside latch did not want to pull, with lots of force it pulled alright but it then went "limp" did not want to return to its place and stopped working all together.

good luck but this might be a stealership visit :/

h

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”