bad start to camping season! :s

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

bad start to camping season! :s

Postby disallow » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:39 am

Well, finally decided to pull the ol' travel trailer out of the back of my yard. We are planning to go camping this weekend. Plugged in my 7pin connector to my truck, and noticed that only some of my running lights came on, and none of my brake lights were working at all. Damnit.

So I started the troubleshooting process. Checked for signal from the truck, and found that it seemed flaky. Took it to the shop I had my 7pin harness installed at, and they tested. They showed me that everything was working, except for the left turn signal/brake. Traced it back, and it appears there is nothing wrong with the 7pin harness, its just that there is no actual left turn signal voltage coming from the Nissan harness.

The guys at this shop (which do not specialize in Nissans) said there must be some hidden fuse or relay not under the hood, or in the normal fuse banks, that is either corroded or blown. The following article from ClubArmada seems to support that:

http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18180

Does anybody know if the Path is wired the same as the Armada?

So, anyways, on to problem #2. Obviously, if the only signal missing is the left signal/brake, I must have something on the trailer side wrong. I started pulling the underbelly panels off of my TT, and sure enough, I have found evidence of critters chewing on wires. Damnit again! This will hopefully be a quick fix, I went to the local Princess Auto (surplus/hardware store, love that place) and bought some wire and parts to resplice the broken wires. Hopefully, all will be fixed in time for us to get going tomorrow!

Anyways, if anyone is familiar with the tow package wiring, please let me know!

t

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:17 pm

Well, I managed to get everything up and running.

The Pathy is wired the same as the Armada listed in the link I provided. There is a 2-fuse inline box after the BCM that has two 10 amp fuses in it, one for left and one for right. I replaced the blown fuse and voila! Bit of a PITA to get to, but its done, and I will know how to get to it next time.

On the trailer side, there were 2 exposed wires chewed through. Once I spliced in some replacement, the trailer was once again in top form.

I did find a major issue in the front J-box of the trailer, there were 5 grounding wires all mashed together and stuffed into a marette. Really nice job there. I ended up putting ring terminals on them all and using a nut and bolt to provide the contact. Still not correct, but not as bad as before!

Looking forward to pulling the rig tomorrow. Will report back on the experience.

t

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:33 pm

any chance you can post a picture of the two fuse locations on the pathfinder?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:58 pm

This is the best I could do, considering the PITA location these fuses are at:

To give some context, this is a picture with the camera pointing straight up from the floor, with the bottom of the picture being the front of the vehicle... Sorry for the bad photo.

t

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:09 pm

Thanks.

Jegan

Postby Jegan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:44 am

Hi everyone, I'm having the brake light/flasher problem. There is constant power, reverse lights and ground all working at the 7 pin. Just no brake, running and flasher lights. All working fine on the truck.

I have looked forever under the dash above the gas pedal for this 2 fuse housing and cannot find a thing. Did they move this in the 2012's? I am currently toi g through all the fuses and hope to find something there but if you can help me out with finding the "hidden" fuses that would be much appreciated. Cheers.
J

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:01 am

Keep in mind that it was wrapped in black electrical tape, and taped to some other wires. They do not make it easy to find.

I honestly don't know if they changed it for 2012, but would suspect they did not.

t

Jegan

Postby Jegan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:09 pm

I found the Fuse,

On the 2012 it is located under the hood. Not in the fuse box with the others however, but in the next box over. The box contains 10 relay's for various things and 4 small fuses.

The Trailer lights fuse is the 15 amp fuse nearest the front of the box. Mine was burnt out and when I changed it all the lights functioned as normal again. Man, did I search under that steering column forever.

Thanks Disallow for your motivation to keep looking as I was starting to lose my mind over this one. Cheers.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:15 am

8) Thanks for the info Jegan

mypath

Postby mypath » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:23 am

let hope my sesons dont start that way

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:24 pm

This year was worse!

Did my preseason inspection of my camper on Saturday. We store the trailer on our yard, with no issues.

This year, I found a mouse nest in one of the rear storage compartments. They definitely got into the rest of the trailer. Don't see much damage in the living area, but can definitely smell it.

Made our insurance claim, and delivered to the inspection shop on Tuesday night. I really don't want it to be a write-off, we really like the trailer, and I doubt I can find a similar trailer for the same price I would get from insurance.

Dammit!

t

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:52 am

Got word back from the insurance guys, they have assessed $3200 of damage due to the stupid rodents.

Get new mattresses out of the deal, and only a $500 deductible. Doesn't affect any claims free discount either, which is nice. Sometimes having government owned insurance is a good thing!

Of course if you knew how much I paid for insurance, you'd probably freak.

t

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Wed May 01, 2013 5:38 am

Good information, as I'm getting ready to hook the tent trailer up to the PF for the first time this weekend.

Thanks,
Craig

mypath

Postby mypath » Fri May 03, 2013 5:35 am

he-he just go my rv and every thing was OK ..no new winter friend..
let go camping...

cgray

Postby cgray » Mon May 06, 2013 9:27 pm

Pulled my popup camper out of storage this weekend. Haven't set it up yet to know if I have any varmint problems. Only thing I saw was a little bird poop on the top cap, hopefully the first rain storm will clean that for me.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”