Zombie climate control fan.

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

oreogaborio

Zombie climate control fan.

Postby oreogaborio » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:47 pm

90+ degrees & humid and my fan shits the bed. :?

Got under the dash, pulled the plug on the fan, checked it with a volt meter & was getting power. Think the fan itself is dead. :cry:

Test it again for grins & giggles aaaaaand uhhhhhh okay, it's back to life again.

Anyone experience this before?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:45 pm

Could have been a dirty contact at the plug connection or in the motor. Since it's working now, leave it and see if it acts up again.

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:58 am

Possible. Contacts looked pristine though and occasionally my fan's been squeaking/rattling a little upon start-up.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:19 am

The fan has a 'anti-burnout' function. If it experiences too much resistance, it keeps trying for about 3 seconds. After that it quits, until you either restart the vehicle, or unplug and plug it back in.

See my ancient post for reference:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=1654

Its possible its getting old and the brushes are worn, which could cause the resistance in your case. I would suggest either getting it rebuilt or finding another one if that is the case, as it is just a matter of time. Just went through that in my 2000 Grand Prix, it totally quit on me about a week after the first time it didn't fire up properly. Got a wrecker part for $20.

Or did you find any dirt or leaves in it that could have caused it to kick in the 'anti-burnout' function?

Return to “R51 Electrical”