Starter problems

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

seventyseven

Starter problems

Postby seventyseven » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:24 pm

Hey I know I am new here but I am having a bit of a problem with my 87 Nissan Pathfinder.

First the dang thing just stopped starting, replaced the starter, still no go.
After a bit of detective work I found the switch under the clutch petal needed some TLC. and it started.

Now is where it gets weird, after I turned it off the starter just kept going, had to pull the battery cable to stop it, and again it wont start.

Relay seems to be good, along with the ignition switch. any other suggests, perhaps I hooked up the starter wrong?

Thanks for anything.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:14 pm

Usually when the starter continues to crank, it is a sign of a starter solenoid that is sticking, which isn't unheard of for aftermarket remans; the fix would be to replace the starter. But, before replacing the starter, you need to make sure power is still not present on the starter signal wire at the starter solenoid when the key is not in the "start" position (while the starter continues to crank on it's own). Likewise, if it is not starting, the first thing to check is to see if power is present at the signal wire at the solenoid when the key is turned to "start."

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”