Towing advice needed

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:26 pm

^^^I agree. Need a bigger truck for the trailer!

Madcow

Postby Madcow » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:37 am

I agree with gettign the 7 pin harness from Nissan, I did and it was plug and play.

I also agree with the Air1000 lift system. One of the best investments in my opinion.

I pull a 5500/6000lb. dry boat/trailer with the Pathy and the stock shocks could not handle the weight ass the Pathy has a soft rear end and she would tend to squat when it was hitched up.

Put the Air1000 system on and problem solved. the truck sits the same with or without the boat hooked up.

digs5567

Postby digs5567 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:21 pm

Do you guys recommend disabling overdrive when towing? I am getting ready to tow with my pathfinder for the first time...everything is stock and I am pulling a Alumacraft fish/ski boat that is well under towing limit not sure of exact weight. will be towing mostly interstate. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:38 am

digs5567 wrote:Do you guys recommend disabling overdrive when towing? I am getting ready to tow with my pathfinder for the first time...everything is stock and I am pulling a Alumacraft fish/ski boat that is well under towing limit not sure of exact weight. will be towing mostly interstate. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
When I tow light loads on the interstate I use OD. If it starts shifting back and forth between 4th-5th pretty often lock out the OD.

hfrez

Things you need to know.

Postby hfrez » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:28 am

What I did not see mentioned here is the installation of a Weight Distribution Hitch with Sway Control. This would take care of most of your problems you mentioned and costs about $400 if you install it yourself. AirLift helps but will not carry the weight you discrbe. A Brake Controller is a must on anything above 3500Lbs by law. What a lot of folks do not know and will not tell you is that if you do not adhere to the manufaturer's guidelines for towing and you have an accident it would be considered unsafe towing and your insurer will not pay for damages. :roll:

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:13 am

The V8 trans has no issues locking up in 4th gear. I agree i with disallow. The extra power of the 8 is nice but probably wont raise your overall tow rating that much. The V6 in the pathfinder is a rare gem for V6's. The wheelbase, breaks, and suspension would still limit you. The gearing is almost as important as horsepower itself. Having that V6 with 3.36 gearing compared to the V8 with 2.92 negates a lot of the advantages of the V8.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Things you need to know.

Postby disallow » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:39 am

hfrez wrote:What I did not see mentioned here is the installation of a Weight Distribution Hitch with Sway Control. This would take care of most of your problems you mentioned and costs about $400 if you install it yourself. AirLift helps but will not carry the weight you discrbe. A Brake Controller is a must on anything above 3500Lbs by law. What a lot of folks do not know and will not tell you is that if you do not adhere to the manufaturer's guidelines for towing and you have an accident it would be considered unsafe towing and your insurer will not pay for damages. :roll:
I mentioned this in my post at the top. Definitely helps and I consider it a requirement, but is not a be-all and end-all, and won't make you invincible.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”