Front Receiver Mount

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

socal4x

Front Receiver Mount

Postby socal4x » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:16 pm

Anybody have any experience with a front hitch receiver mount for the R51?

I found one from Curt MFG., says it fits 05 to 07 Frontiers. Since the R51 is the same frame (should be), I am wondering if this would work. I am considering this as a removable winch mount since I can't find a suitable winch mount bumper that is affordable, and that I like. This way, I can mount the winch when I need it, and keep the front end looking clean and neat.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:53 pm

I have one designed, spec'd and mocked up, but it has been on hold because of a missing part for my press and time in general. As long as the front frame horns are the same and the underside of the front fascia is the same it should fit.

I can't find any pictures of the actual hitch so I can't compare for sure though.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:51 am

Hi, I'd like to see more info about this type of mod when available. Thanks.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:10 am

Greybrick wrote:Hi, I'd like to see more info about this type of mod when available. Thanks.
If you're looking for specific information about one for a Pathy I can't help you yet. But general information can be had by googling "front mount reciever" or "hitch". All said and done it should look like this: http://mikestrawbridge.com/images/front ... er-two.jpg
Around here lots of guys use them for carriers like this: http://www.thesundeckonline.com/bumper.htm so they can park on the beach and surf fish and hold a 100L+ cooler up front.

I specifically want one to install a cargo tray in the front to extend carrying capacity w/o the need of a trailer during vacations. The 500lb tongue weight of the rear allows for a large carrier and plenty of junk. I would be hard pressed to come anywhere near that weight. But sheer volume is easily met.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:33 pm

Thanks Blink, here's at least one purpose built front hitch for 05+ Frontiers which would work on PF's as well. For a temporary winch mount and shackle recovery point I'd feel more comfortable with a hitch which was pulling even with the frame rail ends though and that wasn't hanging down so far, even if it meant cutting a hole in the plastic bumper cap.

http://www.hitchesonline.com/nissian_front_end.htm

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:24 pm

That mount in particular has been brought up before but I don't know what the underside of the new frontier looks like. By all accounts it should bolt onto the frame but without knowing how the air dam and bumper is configured it is a risk I am not willing to take.

Just by the install description (remove lower air dam, return to customer) I'm not confident in the fact that simply trimming the Pathy lower bumper where the extra tow hook would go will suffice. One would probably have to trim the entire length of the lower bumper and then would that even be enough to clear the receiver tube? And looking at the drawing and comparing it to my own mock-up it really doesn't look like it would fit w/o a decent amount of trimming. And then it appears that it would sit really really low and would bang into curbs and what not. The one I have mocked up actually comes out and then goes up a bit to compensate for being so low.

Mr Mayor

Postby Mr Mayor » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:40 pm

Hey gang, jsut checking in here... Been looking for a front mount hitch here too, but ONLY to have a custom tie-down point for my 12'V boat...

It's proving to be quite the pain in the arse...

MGJ[/img]

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:00 pm

Marginjoey wrote:Hey gang, jsut checking in here... Been looking for a front mount hitch here too, but ONLY to have a custom tie-down point for my 12'V boat...

It's proving to be quite the pain in the arse...

MGJ[/img]
I ended up tying both fronts of my 2 kayaks to the tow hook. Works like a charm. I use about a 6mm climbing rope to tie everything down, and have flexible clear plastic sleeves(common tubing from the hardware store) wherever the rope might contact the paint.

Mr Mayor

Postby Mr Mayor » Sat May 31, 2008 6:18 pm

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!

I now am the proud owner of a front mounted hitch! The REESE MULTI MOUNT bolted up to the front end easy. You'll need an IMPACT gun (rent if u dont own). I snapped a pic, but I'm too lazy to go get my camera from the garages...so a post will have to do.

Wal-Mart and Pep Boys had the same unit.
Reese Multi Mount Class 3 Hitch (Part # coming) (1 of 2-says this on the box)

Reese B3 Universal Brackets (THE B3 is all you'll need) (2 of 2 per packaging)

Spent the past 10 minutes trying to find at least the unit or box.. DANG! Once I get part NUmber I'll add pics!

MGJ

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:12 pm

I'll be waiting for those pictures and part numbers. Good work.

Mr Mayor

Postby Mr Mayor » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:15 pm

As promised....PICS, even the dang box!
Tools:
Impact gun, rent it if you have too. Otherwise a cordless GOODYEAR special from Pepboys for $99 bux was perfect! Only 18 or 24 volts, but wow what a difference.
A small floor jack... wish we remembered it earlier in the install.
You will permanantly remove a small plastic cover, as well as your tow hook!
Beer, just 1 or 2, no drunk installing, congrad yourself for a job well done!.

Boxes and Ground Clearance! (WARNING, it did reduce, to 8 1/4 inches from approx 10" (skid plate measurement)

Side view.. the silver rods are the NUTS on a wire, so you can bolt it together, quite ingenius, just a little tedious... yes, 3 of 4 are bolted on both sides. REMEMEBER, for ME , this is ONLY a tie down point for my rooftop boat, and nothing more.. I can baack a trailer up :twisted: )

This ones weird.. but picture yourself lying on your back, photo-ing straight up.. I took this to show that it bolted directly to the frame, NO DRILLING, you WILL need an impact gun for this whole thing, and would not DREAM of doing it by hand! Ever.

MGJ

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:40 am

Is there a part number on that box/boxes? I see 37099 (maybe 27099?) on the big box in the picture but neither numbers are coming up on Reese's product list.

Mr Mayor

Postby Mr Mayor » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:01 pm

WHOOPS! I knew I forgot something..

REESE TowPower:
Multi Fit Hitch System - Class 3

37099 Hitch Center Section- Labeled Box 1 of 2

37098 -B3 brackets -Labeled 2 of 2 (careful, b1 and b2 exist, but u DONT need these, JUST B3)

MGJ

nissan4me

Postby nissan4me » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:39 pm

I cant find those part numbers anywhere. Wonder if they still make it or if they changed the part number?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:07 am

For whatever reason you can't search by those part numbers, not even at Reese's own websites. Or at-least I couldn't and it would appear I am not the only one. BUT those products do exist. as MGJ was able to get them and I went out and bought the set yesterday at Wal$Mart. I will be installing mine today. If you go to www.towpowerbyreese.com and search on products for an 04 Nissan Frontier the 37099 and 37098 will come up in the list, but not specifically as a Front Mount Receiver.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”