New owner/noob with lots of questions

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Cooper993

New owner/noob with lots of questions

Postby Cooper993 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:56 pm

Hi,

Just bought a "new to me" '06 SE 4x4 with 11,600 miles on it.

I have a bunch of questions and was wondering if some of you might have the answers. I read through many of the posts here, but didn't find what I was looking for, so here we go...

Is there a switch available that replaces the blanks on the dash that I can use to control a set of driving lights?
Is there a way to program the remote key so that all doors unlock at the same time?. On my Audi, I can program that through the OBD 2 port.
Is there a Nissan part I can buy to have 1 touch down for ALL the windows?
Does anyone know the spring rates of the stock SE vs. the OR SE springs?
Anyone hardwire a radar detector and can recommend a good switched circuit for power?

I think that's enough for now :)

Any info is appreciated.

nissan4me

Postby nissan4me » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:48 pm

I cant answer any of your questions but did look into switches. THe factory switches are like $50 +a little. Everything I could find had printed icons for heated seats and such. I did this as backup plan. Its not perfect, but looks decent and only cost a few bucks. http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd23 ... 332486[img][/img]

Npath

Re: New owner/noob with lots of questions

Postby Npath » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:50 pm

Cooper993 wrote: Is there a switch available that replaces the blanks on the dash that I can use to control a set of driving lights?
Is there a way to program the remote key so that all doors unlock at the same time?. On my Audi, I can program that through the OBD 2 port.
Anyone hardwire a radar detector and can recommend a good switched circuit for power?
There are lots of different switches you can select at a auto store. Getting one at Nissan is crazy. :)
I don't believe there is a way unlock all doors at the same time.
Spring rates on the SE and OR are the same. Only differences that I know are minor. There is a difference between the Ford F150 and F250...
Have never hard wired a detector. Do they detect laser ahead of you, not at you? :)

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:32 am

Cooper993 wrote:Is there a switch available that replaces the blanks on the dash that I can use to control a set of driving lights?
As others have mentioned, I would see if I could find some kind of aftermarket switch out of the thousands available that might have the same look as the Nissan switches. If all else fails, you could buy a Nissan switch and do a bit of work on it to fit your needs, at least if you are skillfull enough/artistic enough.
Just hit the remote unlock button twice.
You could probably rig something, but you'd have to rig one of the 4 existing switches to handle all windows. What if you want control of just that one window?
It's been posted above, but the springs are identical. Same part numbers. The only difference in the suspension being the OME Rancho shocks on the SE-OR.
That can easily be done, but my question is where do you live? Even if your state is detector-friendly, many states are not. If you get pulled over for something in one of those states, it might cause some grief. I'd personally keep the detector portable & feeding off the various 12v cabin outlets.

I think that's enough for now :)

Any info is appreciated.[/quote]

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:20 pm

Just hit the remote unlock button twice.
I realize that's how it's done, but my other cars can open all four with one press. When I want to open the hatch with my hands full and dog in tow, I'd like to just reach down and hit the button through my pocket and unlock the whole vehicle.
You could probably rig something, but you'd have to rig one of the 4 existing switches to handle all windows. What if you want control of just that one window?
I meant that all 4 windows have one touch down capability, not just the driver's window.
That can easily be done, but my question is where do you live? Even if your state is detector-friendly, many states are not. If you get pulled over for something in one of those states, it might cause some grief. I'd personally keep the detector portable & feeding off the various 12v cabin outlets.
Just because it's hardwired doesn't mean it can't be removed. I have a V1 with remote display so I could have it mounted high and no one can see the lights. Plus I rarely go to states that don't allow them.

Thanks for the other info!

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:24 pm

Npath wrote: Have never hard wired a detector. Do they detect laser ahead of you, not at you? :)
Actually I have a laser jammer that does that on my other car. I'm just worried about radar on the PF.

Just wondering if there is a simple point to tap into (e.g. sunroof switch) vs running a wire all the way around the windshield and to the fuse box.

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:26 pm

nissan4me wrote:I cant answer any of your questions but did look into switches. THe factory switches are like $50 +a little. Everything I could find had printed icons for heated seats and such. I did this as backup plan. Its not perfect, but looks decent and only cost a few bucks. http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd23 ... 332486[img][/img]
I saw your original post with that picture. I guess if I can't find an OEM version I could do something similar. I was hoping that there was a Titan or other vehicle that used the same form factor switch that someone had come across.

Gray

Postby Gray » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:01 pm

The Nissan factory foglight switch part number for 1994 and newer Frontiers, Pathfinders, etc is 999F1-6E000 which will work great for driving lamps, about $20 from the dealerships, http://www.courtesyparts.com/, http://www.nissanparts247.com/, etc. Here's a photo;

You could also order a Nissan cargo lamp switch as is used in 05+ Titans and Frontiers and paint over the 'cargo' part, or just leave it as is for another OEM option;

ImageImage

Last edited by Gray on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:05 pm

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Greybrick wrote:The Nissan factory foglight switch part number for 1994 and newer Friers, Pathfinders, etc is 999F1-6E000 which will work great for driving lamps, about $20 from the dealerships, http://www.courtesyparts.com/, http://www.nissanparts247.com/, etc. Here's a photo;

You could also order a Nissan cargo lamp switch as is used in 05+ Titans and Frontiers and paint over the 'cargo' part for another OEM option;

Gray

Postby Gray » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:18 pm

Cooper993 wrote:Does anyone know the spring rates of the stock SE vs. the OR SE springs.
Welcome to the forum Cooper. If you are looking for OEM heavier front struts/springs and heavier rear springs and shocks have a look at the 08V8 springs/struts/shocks, somewhere I've posted the different part numbers for those on the forum. My dealership parts guy thought it was a great idea to both stay OEM and get some extra spring if I needed it for a front winch or carring additional rear cargo.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:14 pm

Cooper993 wrote: I realize that's how it's done, but my other cars can open all four with one press. When I want to open the hatch with my hands full and dog in tow, I'd like to just reach down and hit the button through my pocket and unlock the whole vehicle.
Yeah, it took me a little while to get used to as well. My only other vehicle that had a remote unlocked everything with 1 push, and was also programmable as to what was unlocked. The Nissan remote won't allow for that unfortunately. But seriously, it takes less than 1/2 a second to hit the button twice-I do it with my arms full all the time.
I meant that all 4 windows have one touch down capability, not just the driver's window.
Gotcha. I've never sat in the rear before, so I don't know about those. I take it they don't have the 1 touch? I know the passenger window does, because my girlfriend still cusses every single time she wants to just crack the window & ends up pushing too far & engaging the 1 touch.

Gray

Postby Gray » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:30 pm

Cooper993 wrote:Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
I was looking at an Armada dashboard which has a number of switches for various applications, all of which would match the PF, so you might want to check those out at a dealership. Here are a couple of shots of the Infiniti QX56 switches which are worth checking out as well.

Cool thing about Nissan is that there are many items which are compatible in style or fit across the various models, switches being one. :)

I like the Titan and Frontier cargo lamp switch best of all of them for a headlamp switch application. :)

Last edited by Gray on Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:43 pm

Cooper993 wrote:Is there a Nissan part I can buy to have 1 touch down for ALL the windows?
I'm pretty sure you would have to replace the window motor regulator to add this feature in addition to replacing the door switch. Since Nissan doesn't offer the one touch feature for the rear windows on any Pathfinder trim level, I don't think you would be able to purchase a rear window motor regulator from them that can do this.

markspath

Postby markspath » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:34 pm

Most everyone has answered your other questions, so I'll address the radar detector. I also have a V1, but without the remote display. I've got mine mounted just under and to the right of the rear-view mirror, and ran the wire above the headliner, down the passenger post, into the dash, and behind the glove box to the DC accessory outlets. The top outlet is switched with they key, so I just tapped-into that outlet's hot lead.

If I replace the radio, which I'm thinking of doing next week, I'll try to get some pictures of the wiring. But I'm getting a bit tired of pulling apart the dash.

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:12 am

Have you tried mounting the V1 above the rear view mirror? I was wondering if the black "sun screen" will block the radar signal.
MARKSPATH wrote:Most everyone has answered your other questions, so I'll address the radar detector. I also have a V1, but without the remote display. I've got mine mounted just under and to the right of the rear-view mirror, and ran the wire above the headliner, down the passenger post, into the dash, and behind the glove box to the DC accessory outlets. The top outlet is switched with they key, so I just tapped-into that outlet's hot lead.

If I replace the radio, which I'm thinking of doing next week, I'll try to get some pictures of the wiring. But I'm getting a bit tired of pulling apart the dash.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”