Raw Gas Smell

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

Rustybux

Raw Gas Smell

Postby Rustybux » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:01 pm

In the mornings, I start my 94 pathfinder and let it warm up (winter here). After about 5 or 10 minutes I have a Raw Gas smell under the hood. If I start it and drive down the street with the heater on, I smell gas also. After it warms up, I don't smell it. I don't see any leaks anywhere. What could be causing that? I never smelled it before.

n3ckf

Re: Raw Gas Smell

Postby n3ckf » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:13 am

Rustybux wrote:In the mornings, I start my 94 pathfinder and let it warm up (winter here). After about 5 or 10 minutes I have a Raw Gas smell under the hood. If I start it and drive down the street with the heater on, I smell gas also. After it warms up, I don't smell it. I don't see any leaks anywhere. What could be causing that? I never smelled it before.
I had this happen with my 1991 and it was actually a very small hose between the two heads at the front of the engine. (you'll see a hose there with clamps on either end). The hose had actually started leaking so a *little* gas fell on top of the engine.

Its on the high pressure side of the fuel injection but its easy to replace. Problem gone.

TheRude1

Postby TheRude1 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:53 pm

95 here
Have not had that issue yet
Subaru had an issue like this over severl years of cars. When it got cold(20"s) one or more of the rubber junction hoses on the rail sys would litteraly contract so much they would leak.
They ended up just makeing a kit to repair it,clamps and the hose's are like 5mm longer and that fixed the issue.
If that is the original hose it may be worth replacing it anyway with a hose just a pinch or too longer ??

Rustybux

Re: Raw Gas Smell

Postby Rustybux » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:32 pm

n3ckf wrote:
Rustybux wrote:In the mornings, I start my 94 pathfinder and let it warm up (winter here). After about 5 or 10 minutes I have a Raw Gas smell under the hood. If I start it and drive down the street with the heater on, I smell gas also. After it warms up, I don't smell it. I don't see any leaks anywhere. What could be causing that? I never smelled it before.
I had this happen with my 1991 and it was actually a very small hose between the two heads at the front of the engine. (you'll see a hose there with clamps on either end). The hose had actually started leaking so a *little* gas fell on top of the engine.

Its on the high pressure side of the fuel injection but its easy to replace. Problem gone.
You were correct. That little hose was the problem. I watched it and saw it get wet with gas. Tightened the clamps about a turn each and that stopped it. thank you for directing me in the right direction.

SpecialWarr

Postby SpecialWarr » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:03 pm

Does anyone know what the actual diameter of that hose? I would like to replace both of those sections while I'm in there taking care of the funky injector problems and replacing the knock sensor.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”