4x4 Auto-locker questions about orientation and....

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

SpecialWarr

4x4 Auto-locker questions about orientation and....

Postby SpecialWarr » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:31 pm

Good Day ladies and gentlemen,

I have a 1990 WD21 4x4 Auto, four door, from Canada and I have just had a most disturbing weekend. I left my parking space in the basement of the building here in really cold Quebec and heard the nastiest crunch crunch noise coming from something that was rotating slowly. I assumed that it was one of the wheel bearings but it stopped making any noise when I put it into reverse and back into the parking spot. I spent about an hour pulling the free running hub's outer assemblies off and inspecting them for damage. My current problem is that Neither side looks like the other and I can't make much out of the drawing off the nissanpartszone site here:

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_Pro ... entsNo=400

Could someone give me the correct parts order and orientation??
Also, as an aside, why are there 7 snap ring thicknesses??

Thanks like always guys!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:03 pm

Axial end play is measured using a dial indicator. If the axial end play is not in spec, the you use one of the other size snap rings to get the end play in spec.

The diagram pictured on the link you provided shows the correct order for the parts. A service manual will give you the same diagram. You might want to check on You Tube to see if there is a video on how to assemble/disassemble Nissan hubs. It would probably give you a better idea of what to do.

SpecialWarr

Postby SpecialWarr » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:15 am

Thanks smj!

I was looking at the the web site above and that there were that many snap rings didn't make much sense (it was about ten minutes before I went to bed though). I'd pull out the mag base dial indicator and measure the end play but it's freezing cold and still raining.

The problem, as I mentioned, was that that I can't tell which way the brakes orient within the assembly. Neither drawing is sufficiently precise to be able to tell which direction is correct!

I'll hit up the YouTube and see what I can dig up there.

Thanks again smj999smj!!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:35 pm

Anytime you replace a joint, half-shaft assy., or replace wheel bearings, the end-play is supposed to be checked. That said, I don't think I've ever did it myself; I always just used the snap ring that I took off originally.

SpecialWarr

Postby SpecialWarr » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:17 pm

So I pulled the auto-lockers off and installed a pair of the Mile (Kilometer?) Markers that I ordered off of the web. Easy, squeezy!! I finished that in about an hour while being short of snap-ring pliers. I ended up using two flat bladed screwdrivers and a small pick to pull the snap-ring off. Everything else was un-bolt, grease and bolt-on!

May I just say that 4x4 in the snow and ice is soooo much fun! I love this truck!

SpecialWarr

Postby SpecialWarr » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:28 pm

So i pylled the auto-lockers off and installed a pair of the Mile (Kilometer?) Markers that I ordered off of the web. Easy, squeezy!! I finished that in about an hour while being short ofsnap-ring pliers. I ended up using two flat bladed srewdrivers and a small pick to pull the snap-ring off. Everything else was un-bolt, grease and bolt-on!

May I just say that 4x4 in the snow and ice is soooo much fun! I love this truck!

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”