LS1 in an R51?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

BO4THSS

LS1 in an R51?

Postby BO4THSS » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:00 am

Does anyone have any experience swapping a 5.7L in a R51? This may seem sacrilegious to some in this forum, but my other car is a 4th gen Camaro that I'm thinking about dropping a BBC into. Will the 5.7 fit in a 06 LE? Will the frame handle about 450hp? To keep the 4wd, was thinking of using a 4L60E out of a Silverado or equivalent. My LE is currently awaiting an all too well known trans replacement, which might help me warm the wife to the swap idea. And I figure daydreaming about a nasty sounding cam in my LE is healthier than plans for world domination... Any input or experience would be great! :twisted:

XVTer

Postby XVTer » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:00 am

Getting the electrical systems to work together would be a pretty huge undertaking as all of the drivetrain components in the pathy are integrated.

Besides that, as for hardware, if you're going to be throwing down 450hp, you'll probably want the 4l80e and transfer case out of a 2500 series truck or suburban.

As for space, a 2- or 3-inch body lift will give you some additional room for the big tranny.

Overall, it may be possible (anything is with enough $$), but I think that it'll be much easier/cheaper to go with a replacement nissan transmission. Not to mention that with an older v8 tucked under the hood, it'll be next to impossible to pass safety/emissions inspection (if that matters to you).

If you go ahead with it, definitely post up your progress!

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:32 am

LS1 isn't a BBC though.

Also, the VK56 is probably a little more advanced than an LS1. Also, the 5AT and transfer case currently used on the 08+ V8 Pathfinder is I'm sure comparable in size to a half ton Chevy, if not bigger.

Also, 4L60E, I'd rather have the 5AT currently in the V8 Pathy, again, the V8 Pathy's drivetrain from the fan to the driveshaft is more advanced than what you're suggesting.

It's identical to the Titan drivetrain, but on paper the Pathy has a little less hp (-4) and 3 ft/lbs extra IIRC.

BO4THSS

Postby BO4THSS » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:32 am

I knew this might ruffle a few feathers but,

I was saying I would like to put a BBC in the car to replace the LS1 currently in the Camaro.

I agree that the V8 Pathfinder drivetrain in more advanced, but if I was going to go that route I would just sell my V6 model and buy a V8 model, and that would take all the fun out of it. Plus, I already own and know the LS1 very well. It is a very dependable engine with a huge aftermarket.

I also agree the 4L60E probably wouldn't quite cut it, but the tuning software I use covers any computer controlled trans I could mount to the LS1.

The LS1 I would use is very healthy, I shouldn't have any trouble passing emissions as long as I retained all emissions related stuff in the install.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 am

I don't think you're ruffling feathers. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to a lot of people. Doesn't mean we won't stand back and watch you throw money and time at it :lol:

But to answer your question...I think you're going to be the trail-blazer on this. I've never seen this swap done outside of a rough-truck contest. I've seen a lot of 350's thrown into just about anything you can name. But to do it right and make a legal, useful, daily-driver....good luck. I would bet a pretty large sum you'll never pass an emissions inspection. To get all the settings, cats, sensors, etc. dialed in and functioning would be quite the circus.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:53 am

If you're going to spend that much time/money/investment, might as well do a SAS for the front & rear.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:42 pm

i love the idea, biggest issue would be getting the computer to communicate with everything. there is a huge aftermarket for the engine. id love to see someone do this.

BO4THSS

Postby BO4THSS » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:16 pm

I would be using the ECM and harness from the Camaro. That way i could still use my existing tuning software.

An SAS? solid axles right?

Another crazy thought, I could use the T56 trans from the Camaro. It is plenty strong enough and i think i have seen some transfer case adapters for it somewhere. 6 speed manual.... hmmmm

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:35 pm

Yup, solid axles.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:47 pm

Sell your PF and buy a V8 PF put a supercharger on it and bam! 450hp.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”