Could I go with a little smaller tire?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

porksoda

Could I go with a little smaller tire?

Postby porksoda » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:01 pm

Well my Pathfinder currently has the factory size on it which is 265-75-16. The tires are in very bad shape since the shocks/struts are bad. I like this size of tire but the majority of the tires in this size are Load Range E so they are very stiff and rough riding tires. I would like a more comfortable tire since my wife will be driving this vehicle with our baby. I was thinking of running a 265-70-16 which would be just a little shorter. I am assuming it could possibly throw off the speedometer off a little bit but I am fine with that. Also it seems like their is a larger selection of tires in the 70 series tire to choose from.
Well any suggestions would be greatly appreciate!

Thanks!

265-70-16= 30.61 in Overall Diameter
265-75-16= 31.65 in Overall Diameter

Knightro

Postby Knightro » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:00 am

I also have an '06 and just put my second set of tires on. I'm the original owner. My first replacements were Kumhos. Garbage. The ride was smooth but wet traction was horrible. I ended up replacing them while they still had a fair amount of tread. I just put Bridgestone Dueler A/T's on. Factory size, 265/70/16. These are excellent tires. Bridgestone is a very good name in tires(I used to work at a tire shop). They ride very smooth and have no road noise, which surprised me because the tread is more aggressive than a normal highway tire. I used tirerack.com to shop options then to tire dealer and they matched the price(when you factored in shipping from tire rack). You also may want to try your Nissan dealer. I know this sounds counter intuitive but when my dealer saw I put new tires on he said I should have gone there. They sell them so cheap they make little to no money on them.

Either way I would not recommend putting smaller tires on.

Knightro

Postby Knightro » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:02 am

Wait a minute. Your stock is 75 series? Maybe the off-road package is the reason? My door jam sticker calls for a 70 series.

Knightro

Postby Knightro » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:08 am

I just checked and they make the Bridgestone in your size. It about $40 more per tire than the 70 series. Figures. It's a great tire though

akley88

Postby akley88 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:45 am

i stock size on my 08 was 245/75/16 which is about 30.5". they rode fine. bad shocks and struts probably didnt help the ride out either.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:14 am

Knightro wrote:Wait a minute. Your stock is 75 series? Maybe the off-road package is the reason? My door jam sticker calls for a 70 series.
Yes, the OR came with 265/75/16s. Most of the tires in this size are offered in both passenger and LT versions. I know the Duratrac is only offered in LT, but at least they start with a load range of C.

Knightro

Postby Knightro » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:23 pm

I just looked again the bridgestones are load range E. They have a special on them too. No I don't work for them. Like I said I used tire rack's price quote and took it to my local tire store as a bargaining chip

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:11 am

Knightro wrote:I just looked again the bridgestones are load range E. They have a special on them too. No I don't work for them. Like I said I used tire rack's price quote and took it to my local tire store as a bargaining chip
The Revo also comes in a P rated tire in that size, and it sounds like the OP is looking for a passenger tire rather than a light truck tire.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”