20" Rims - The Sequel With Pics

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Birdbath8

20" Rims - The Sequel With Pics

Postby Birdbath8 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:05 am

Hi all. So, for those of you who read my first story about saving you the hassle and pain that I went through to put custom 20" rims and tires on my 08 se-v8 Path, here is the conclusion to that story (I hope).

After writing the last post about this, I thought my nightmare was over. Ha! I was wrong. It just got more baffling and well, let's just say that it took me to new levels of frustration where you can only laugh (or cry).

So, I mentioned that the hub rings were ultimately the issue in all of this and that I had finally found a wheel that would fit snug on my ride. Moto Metal 951....at least the "pros" told me this would be the perfect fit. So, on visit 11, the wheels were mounted, first on the rear and then the front. After observing the tire crew (to make sure they didn't screw up) for nearly 2.5 hours, they put the fronts on and tried to do a spin test. Can you say brake caliper rubs in front and the wheel won't spin....motha$%^&*@. I nearly lost it.:x

The next day, the manager of the store called with apologies. The wheel distributor F'd up...the computer clearly showed that the Moto Metal would rub in the front. Additionally, the store manager did some research, spoke to the hub ring manufacturer they deal with and it just so happened that the ring mfg was aware of the Pathfinder issue and had developed a prototype ring to fit the wheel i already had on my ride (MKW18).

So, today I have a hub ring that is not yet sold to the public mounted with the wheels I'm ending my journey with and the vibration is now gone. FINALLY. The wheels are the MKW18 in a 20x9 wrapped with Pirelli Scorpion ATR 275/55. I've included a link below to some pics and for fun I've included each tire/wheel combo over the last couple months.

http://gallery.mac.com/hayden8s#100016

Thanks and if you need any additional info don't hesitate to email me. BB

Mr Mayor

Postby Mr Mayor » Sat May 03, 2008 6:31 pm

Wow, yer one persistent bastard! kudos man!

"Final Set" is definitely my choice as well, nice work!

MGJ

speedline

Postby speedline » Mon May 05, 2008 5:33 pm

Could you tell me what the 2nd set name brand is? Also what tire size you had? Did you have problems with the 2nd set?

Birdbath8

The second set

Postby Birdbath8 » Mon May 05, 2008 7:32 pm

I believe they are Boss 313's with 285/50 r20's. I had problems with them all. The last set finally worked out...but I did have to change the tire from the Pirelli Scorpion ATR's to a street tire. The sidewall stiffness was causing vibration. All in all, the only real difference came when the right hub ring was put on. Without them, you're not going to get the vibration out.

00void

Postby 00void » Tue May 06, 2008 5:59 am

the last choice look the best imo. sucks you had so much trouble with it all but it looks great with the wheels you've got now.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue May 06, 2008 2:50 pm

Nice to see it come together BB. :)

Birdbath8

Thanks

Postby Birdbath8 » Tue May 06, 2008 7:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. I'm happy to be done with this drama. I will say that the pathfinder definitely needs better shocks/struts and steering dampers. Way too sensitive. I'm hoping that someone will come out with both in the near future. That's one bad thing about buying a new model, you have to wait for the aftermarket world to catch up.

BB

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Wed May 07, 2008 5:00 am

Now that the tire drama is over you need to make your avatar of the truck. Glad you finally are happy with your wheels. They do look nice.

macbell7

Postby macbell7 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:08 am

Hey , the Boss 313's with the 285/50/20 tire , did those rub at all or have any clearance problems???
I'm in a predicatment cause I have wheels and tires off my tahoe with that size tire Nitto Terra grapplers and I was gonna sell the wheels and use those tires on a new set of wheels . I obviously can't use the wheels with the different bolt pattern which sucks cause I love them and they would look great on there. Its the KMC Rockstars in black .

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”