I by-passed my in radiator tranny cooler

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:07 pm

daxnizmo wrote:I have 138K miles. I did the bypass and had the trans flushed. All shuddering and hard shifts are gone....for now. I hope I caught it in time. The radiator and thermostat is next to replace.
was there coolant in the trans oil?

sema007

Postby sema007 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:11 pm

hello. i asked this on other page and heare answer from only one owner. need to know what others think.

i have question, i see picture of preferred extra oil cooler mount location from internet

but need to ask you, what about if i install this extra radiator in C location? this tube inside of radiator is doing cooling and heating effect as well in winter and it heats transmission fluid in cold starts and i think if i will place radiator after main engine radiator that will help to warm up transmission fluid ( with airflow from driving and even from contact with each other) and same time transmission fluid goes much hot then coolant in radiator, in my opinion air flow even in very hot summer from radiator will be no more then 90 Celsius and even 100 Celsius is good working operation temperature for transmission fluid. What do you think? direction will be from transmission to oem oil cooler in front and then to extra oil cooler to back of main radiator and return to transmission.

What you think guys ?

daxnizmo

Postby daxnizmo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:55 am

eieio wrote:
daxnizmo wrote:I have 138K miles. I did the bypass and had the trans flushed. All shuddering and hard shifts are gone....for now. I hope I caught it in time. The radiator and thermostat is next to replace.
was there coolant in the trans oil?
Maybe a dismal amount. The fluid looked good during the flush but towards the very end, it looked a tad milky. It's still doing well. The radiator coolant looks fine as well but I'm still thinking it needs a flush tho.

I had to re-tighten the caps on the bottom of the radiator (because I did the bypass) and when I took the cap off for inspection I had trans fluid AND coolant coming from outlet. Not gushing out but enough to identify what was dripping. That said, would a rad flush take care of all this since I did the bypass already or is a new rad in the near future?

Thanks guys.

001camshaft

HELP

Postby 001camshaft » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:21 am

Ok guys. I'll try to make my long story short. Felt the shudder. Only under light acceleration coming out of lockup. Did external cooler mod. Still shudder. Fluid in tranny confirmed. Rebuilt tranny. Still Shudder. I have researched the crap out of this. I saw one guy on this thread that had a u1000 code, which was a bad ground (i have no codes). Also, replaced the tcc plunger on the valve body (which i read on sonnax could be the problem). Any other thoughts? 05 SE 4x4. Been dealing with this unresolved for 2 months with no love. Help!

yndoncaggs

Postby yndoncaggs » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:09 am

Hair extensions and hairpieces really can help to improve the looking of people and help to change them a lot hair extensions and hairpieces if choosing the right type and right style of hair wigs for you, of course that you will look and become more and more attractive and also buy cheap hair wigs now is easy as you can just get the ideal style that you want online at online shops now. I have just buy me a curly hair wigs and it is perfect.

Keithr9986

Need advice

Postby Keithr9986 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi,

This is my first post. My wife has a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder with 134,000 miles. The car has been great to her with no real issues other than brakes. About a month and a half ago she developed a shutter that is felt around 35-40mph. Local nissan dealership could not figure it out. So I had my diesel mechanic that takes car of all my duramax needs. He said that it appeared there was some coolant mixing. Said the tranny fluid was clean but saw some coolant mix.

Him not being to familiar with Nissans as much as he is with diesels, he suggested replacing the torque converter and all. This he was just taking a guess at a $1800 fix. So since he other day of her being told this I have been looking for a solution that will not break the wallet.

You all seem to be very familiar with this issue. I always look towards forums as there usually can be answers found.

Do you folks think that her doing the bypass will cure most of it. She does mostly highway driving to work and back with it. This is usually when it happens. Wanted to know if she already has the problem if it is too late hogue I have read on this thread that there are more than a few people had the problem, did the bypass,and all is well.

I thank you to anyone that can help with this issue. She has 2 more payments left on the SUV. Just trying to fix it without breaking the wallet.

Thanks again everyone !

Keith

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Re: Need advice

Postby skinny2 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:53 pm

Keithr9986 wrote:Do you folks think that her doing the bypass will cure most of it.
Well...who knows?! The cheapest option at this point would be to do the bypass, flush the coolant, and flush the transmission fluid. Worst case you do this and the transmission continues to get worse and eventually fails. Best cast it keeps on trucking for awhile longer.

shaggyT

Postby shaggyT » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:57 pm

I have a bull bar on my pathy, would i have to remove it to do the bypass?

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:44 pm

shaggyT wrote:I have a bull bar on my pathy, would i have to remove it to do the bypass?
No

dano99

Postby dano99 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:35 am

Im asking myself the same question....Im 90% sure I will be.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:01 am

dano99 wrote:Im asking myself the same question....Im 90% sure I will be.
only if it interferes with removal of the skid plate

kahuna81

Postby kahuna81 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:43 am

I just bought a 2006 v6 and the first thing I want to do is bypassing the radiator. However, I live in the gulf and it does get hot here during summer, 52 C or 125 F in daytime. I never tow any loads, just some sand dune bashing in the weekends :D
Would I be safe to bypass the radiator with these ambient temperatures or should I get an additional transmission oil cooler?

G8RADE

Postby G8RADE » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:15 pm

Get another cooler. If you can't, do the bypass, skip wheeling for a while, then add the cooler later. Don't put it off, it's not that bad. Especially considering the cost and utter frustration if your transmission finally goes and you waited. I did just that, was so busy, and no signs, so I delayed...Well, just tore into my cooling system after the shudder and have spent my weekend flushing both systems and replaced most of my cooling system. I know I'm gonna end up overhauling the tranny now. What an expensive lesson.

Oh and for anyone that hasn't reported their issues to the NHTSA, please take time and file a report on www.safecar.gov

DirtDgr

Postby DirtDgr » Thu May 01, 2014 11:00 pm

Ok Im a new guy in here. I've read tons of this stuff but am still worried I will do something wrong.

So is this the idea?

The pic does not show the trans cooler in the front. So Its a little different.

Just remove the hoses where the "plugs" now are and connect them. That's it.

Thanks! Sorry for the sad graphic alteration!
Last edited by DirtDgr on Sat May 03, 2014 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigEz

Postby BigEz » Fri May 02, 2014 3:59 am

DirtDgr wrote:Ok Im a new guy in here. I've read tons of this stuff but am still worried I will do something wrong.

So is this the idea?

Thanks! Sorry for the sad graphic alteration!
Yes that is 100% correct... And I like your illustration.
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... 0543#60543

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”