New tires white facing out....

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

neverlift

New tires white facing out....

Postby neverlift » Fri May 23, 2014 5:17 am

Hello new guy here... So I bought new tires for my 07 and wanted the black out so no more white lettering facing out. I told the tire guy this and he tells me yeah no problem. BTW I bought the BF Goodrich long trail ta tires. I go pick up my truck and the white lettering is facing out. He now tells me oh yeah those tires need to be installed white side out. I'm not a tire expert at all, all I knew is I wanted all black rubber so I went with what he told me. I'm not happy at all, what would you all do?

jman9895

Postby jman9895 » Fri May 23, 2014 5:22 am

sounds like crap... if they were directional tires, (which can only be installed on the rim facing one way) they would have to have white on both sides because one side would be facing out on the left side of the vehicle and the other on the right.. I would have hit the ceiling, threatened to call PD, and told him to show me where it says that those tires can only go on that way..

jman9895

Postby jman9895 » Fri May 23, 2014 5:25 am

I was searching for some pictures to help you tell if they are directional or not.. here's a good explanation of what they are and how they work, but again, your tire tech sounds like he's feeding you crap

http://www.barrystiretech.com/direction ... tires.html

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Fri May 23, 2014 6:43 am

Edit: I found two types of BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A tires.

One is blackwall: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... =Blackwall

One is white: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... %20Letters

So maybe he's right.

DiBo

Postby DiBo » Fri May 23, 2014 9:25 pm

I got my white walls out and I like it!, its just dirty in my sig.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat May 24, 2014 5:47 pm

The tire store always asks me; they work either way.

Most tires are bi-directional meaning the tread pattern will work the same in both directions. Some tires are unidirectional; this is usually performance tires that have things like solid cornering blocks on the outer shoulder and wet traction tread on the inside.

The tread looks bidirectional on the BFG's and I'd be really surprised if they're not. I seem to remember mine having the black labels on one side, white on the other just like most bidirectional tires.

neverlift

Postby neverlift » Sun May 25, 2014 11:37 am

Thanks to everyone that gave me some feedback. To clear it up a bit these tire actually say on the white wall side "This Side Out". I don't mind the white but really wanted a change with the black out, the garage assured me these could be mounted black out. I'm now in phone tag mode with the customer service people I hope they can help.

neverlift

Postby neverlift » Thu May 29, 2014 4:52 pm

So the place I bought the tires from will exchange them for the proper tires with the black out. Has anyone used these tires BFG Rugged Trail T/A ? Are the mountable black side out?

Cheers!

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”