fuel sender wiring

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

Joe Piro

fuel sender wiring

Postby Joe Piro » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:06 am

Hi everybody.... my first post... I have a 95 Pathfinder I bought at an auto auction. I love it but it is a little rough. The gas gauge does not work. It is not stuck, but the needle usually rests at the lowest possible position. There is also a gas smell when I fill up, so I don't fill it often, but when I do, the needle moves up 1/4/ or 1/3.

I printed wiring diagrams from the internet, but I cannot find one that shows all the wires on the fuel sender which we accessed through a panel in the floor. Please excuse the length of the post. All the detail pertains to the sender wiring.

The sender has (yellow and blue) (blue and red) (yellow) and (white and purple) wires. The ground is black.

Someone before me spliced a black wire into the (white and purple) and it runs into the driver side wheel well and forward. I haven't traced it yet.

The nearby chassis/harness connector has some of the same and some different colors.
A (white/blue) chassis wire plugs into the (white/purple) sender wire.
A (yellow/green) chassis wire plugs into the (yellow) sender wire.
A (black) chassis wire plugs into the (blue/red) sender wire.
A (yellow/purple) chassis wire plugs into the (yellow/blue) sender wire.
(the yellow/blue sender wire might be yellow/green... hard to tell.)
A (black with purple dot) plugs into a black wire that is cut and connects to nothing.

The (white/blue) (yellow/green) and (yellow/purple) chassis wires are all hot when the ignition is on.

When the (yellow/purple) and (black) chassis wires plug into the (yellow/blue) and (blue/red) sender wires, the fuel pump runs.
The fuel pump runs even when I pull out the fuse associated with it.
In fact the fuel pump runs no matter which fuse I pull.

Can you point me to a diagram of the sender wires and functions?
Are my wires simply mis-matched? Or do I need to remove, test, and possibly replace the sender.

Thanks for any help? Again, apologies for the length.
Richard
1995 Pathfinder

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”