TPMS sensors connected to Android phone?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Lord Farquaad

TPMS sensors connected to Android phone?

Postby Lord Farquaad » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:41 pm

I see there are quite a few apps available for connecting TPMS sensors to Android phones. Anyone here used it or know which sensors will be Android compatible? I would like to give this a go, but info on it is a bit sketchy.

jman9895

Postby jman9895 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:32 am

tirehawk will do that. However, you need to use THEIR sensors and control unit,

They have two types of sensors, valve stem and valve cap.

I'd be willing to try the valve stem type, as they are inside the tire, however, that would mean replacing the existing sensors and then the OEM tpms system would be non-functional. Which, in my state, would be an issue as it must be functioning to pass inspection.

They do have a version that goes on the valve cap. However, I dont trust it. Having something hanging off the valve stem, however small opens up possibilities for damage from stuff on the road, leaks, and if you live in northeastern US, the things will probably get stuck on the valve stem due to corrosion from all the salt we use on the roads in the winter months.

And I do not see an option for an external display. I dont know about you, but between streaming music, nav, and whatever else I'm using my phone for while im in my truck, the last thing I want to do is try to change screens to keep an eye on my tires. That's the main reason I have a scangauge instead of using the torque app for live data. I dont really want to mount a tablet anywhere either. Just more interior clutter.

However! if you got an android radio, I could see this working... I'm actually planning a build with an android based radio and a wifi/4g data telmatics system, stay tuned..

Return to “R51 Electrical”