New to 4x4 please help

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

Snifferpivots

New to 4x4 please help

Postby Snifferpivots » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:35 pm

Before I even start, I know it sounds ridiculous.

I have no idea how to put my pathfinder in 4 wheel drive. its a 91 5spd with auto lockers. I just picked it up yesterday. I've only owned/driven one other 4x4 and it was all electronic puch button. This one is manual shift 2H, 4H, 4L. Yes I know what those all mean and used for and when to use them. I'm just not sure how to change it into 4x4. Maybe I am changing and my indicator light is out??

Someone please help. Judge me all you want, it wont hurt my feelings. I just need the information please. :oops:

Snifferpivots

Postby Snifferpivots » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:01 am

Seriously? 15 views and not a single word of advice or help? Real cool guys...real cool. :?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:46 pm

The transfer case shifter is a little tough in these models and you need to exert some muscle, at times. I usually do it in neutral, stopped, or at a very slow crawl. It should pull straight back through neutral and 4H. To get to 4L, you need to push the shift lever straight down (when in 4H) and then back to 4L. They used to put instructions on the back of the driver's sunvisor, but it may not be there after all these years.

Snifferpivots

Postby Snifferpivots » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:03 pm

thank you very much sir :!:

n3ckf

Postby n3ckf » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:44 pm

Oh and if you are shifting into 4L, it'll take a little roll forward before it fully shifts in (my experience on mine).

The thing i forgot how to do (because i dont use 4L that much) is how to get *out* of it. Push the engage knob *down*, then it comes right out...

The reason i say to roll a litle bit after engaging 4L, is that i managed to get mine by be putting power on the *rear* wheels only and not the fronts and got stuck by shifting from 4H->4L right before i got to an obstacle.

Dont do that, its embarrassing when you get stuck.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”