Fog lights

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

09pathinbk

Fog lights

Postby 09pathinbk » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:16 am

Anyone ever tried to get the fogs to go on with the parking lamps. I rigged my rigid led's with the parking lights. I'd love to have my fogs and led's on with my headlamps off

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:45 am

I am trying to figure out why you would want the headlights off when the fogs and LED's are on.

I have my IPF's and 10" Rigid LED bar come on with the fog light switch. The fogs now come on with the headlights. I kinda like the set up, it is easy to turn the IPF's and LED bar on and off quite quickly. This way, when I need more light, I can have all 5 lights on at once and when I don't, the fogs help out the headlights. The wiring was a little more than I could figure out so I had a local shop finish the job. The more light the better. 8)

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:22 am

Geez, I can't count; I can have 7 lights on at once; 2 headlights, 2 fogs, 2 IPF's and the LED bar. :oops:

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:00 am

There's been some threads around here and I don't recall anyone finding an easy solution for this. I've thought about just replacing my oem fogs with some high power units and a separate switch. When it's snowing buckets or super foggy....it's much easier to see without the headlights on...as long as you have some strong light down low. The OEM fogs are not really bright enough IMHO to get the job done on their own anyway.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:17 am

Agreed, the OEM headlights and fogs aren't really that good, adding specialty lighting is the way to go. One thing I would do would be to determined whether is it legal to drive with just fog lights or fogs/Dually's with the parking lights, before I did anything. Different states and provinces have different laws, in regards to lighting and driving conditions.

Living on the west coast, I understand that the headlights in heavy fog may be an issue. I guess I am looking at it differently. I personally would rather have them on to help other drivers see me and just slow down. IMHO, an oncoming driver would better/faster recognize the front end, of the truck, with headlights/fogs than parking lights up top and some smaller accessory lights down below. The parking lights would mark the width of the vehicle but would not really be seen well, in bad weather. The fogs are too low.

I was looking at some lights, from Hella, to replace the OEM fogs. It looks like they might have a couple of designs that would fit. I have not researched this in detail yet though.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:49 pm

I've looked into this, and a solution that was given to me was to put a jumper wire between the fog light and parking light fuses.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:26 pm

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=

I posted this about a year ago and it's still working fine!
Really easy mod and it's pretty bulletproof...if anything goes wrong it just trips the inline breaker and you're back to stock.

Maybe one of the moderators can make it a sticky under electrical??
:P

Goliat6288

Postby Goliat6288 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:50 am

sorry for bringing up an old thread but i just want to clarify something. Touchdown with the mod you did once you turn on your side markers your fog lights turn on also?

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:05 pm

Goliat6288 wrote:sorry for bringing up an old thread but i just want to clarify something. Touchdown with the mod you did once you turn on your side markers your fog lights turn on also?
Yes

jhg120

Postby jhg120 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:08 pm

I also completed this mod and it's been great. Was rather difficult to get the wire's wrapped around each fuse peg, but once I did, it's fit nicely.

The added lights from the fog lights really helped too, not to mention they stay on with bright light's on.

Awesome find TOUCHDOWN!!!!

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:28 pm

Glad it worked for ya!! ;)

On a side note:
In bought some H9 bulbs, cut the tabs off the inside connector and put those in as a direct replacement for my weak / stock fog lights! Worked great, the little extra heat generated is a non issue. Now the fogs throw out some decent light but since they're pretty low, they don't blind anyone.

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:19 pm

Get a relay, one that can handle 30 amps or so. I used a 4 pin relay, power in, switch, acc, gnd. Wire your power to a 12v source, battery for example, wire fog light gnd and gnd on relay out to body. Wire switch to running lights with a wire tap and acc to fog lights pos. Only problem with this is that when you hit your blinkers, your fog will blink lol. I converted my fogs to hid projectors and wired the fogs to the headlights as a relay, so when i hit my headlight switch my fogs come on too. My fog light switch turns on 2 dually d2's in my grill. I can draw you up a diagram if youd like.

jman9895

Postby jman9895 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:28 am

I grabbed power off of the trailer brake connector inside the truck under the dash (there's a wire in it for parking lights), from there I ran it through a switch on the dash, (mounted it in the knockout next to the mirror controls) and then out to a relay under the hood. That controls the fog lights. I didnt have fogs so I got a kit on ebay with factory fogs for like 60 bucks.

They come on and off with the parking lights but I still have the ability to shut them off when I want.

My LED bar is on a 2 way switch running with the high beams. I can have constant on or on with high beams.

Return to “R51 Electrical”