bought used Pathfinder, stalling and other issues

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

BlueTJMCRT

bought used Pathfinder, stalling and other issues

Postby BlueTJMCRT » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:28 pm

I've been a Jeep guy for quite some time and after having a nightmare Grand Cherokee as my last vehicle, my wife talked me into going with a Pathfinder this time around.

Found a really nice 2008 SE and purchased it after having a mechanic look over it. It has 78,000 miles on it and the radiator bypass has been done.

I've had it for over 4 months now and have enjoyed the vehicle. Two issues I'd like to resolve.

1 - When at a stop, the idle is rough. Do I need to raise the idle speed? It's not the a/c, it's just rough at times.

2 - Coming home from our cabin last night, got to stop light, and it just stalled. Everything shut down. It started back up, but it just simple stalled out of nowhere.

I bring this up because the other day it wouldn't start. I wanted to roll it out of my driveway to jump it and pulled the little plug to get the transmission to switch into neutral. As soon as I popped the little piece out of the shifter, the lights flashed and the damn thing started right up....

Bad battery> Electrical issue? Any help would be appreciated...

Barjrob1972

Postby Barjrob1972 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:02 pm

I just bought my first Pathfinder myself - me being a Jeep guy as well - and I'm still trying to learn these things. Could it be a bad neutral safety switch?

As far as the idle, try cleaning the system with Seafoam and cleaning the intake.

I've notice the AC compressor is a little hard on these engines. When mine kicks on, the engine doesn't idle up quick enough and it drops in RPM's and idles rough for about half a second. Maybe your idle advance is not working correctly.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:47 am

I have an 05, with a different shifter than you have. However, I have a similar experience. My kids, when they were 2 and 3 years old, loved nothing more than to sit in the driver's seat of the pathy and pull on all the levers and push all the buttons.

Then I would get in to start it up, and it wouldn't.

My theory is that they yanked on the shifter too hard, and disengaged the safety switch. When I moved the shifter through all the gears and then back to Park, it fired right up. This has happened several times.

t

BlueTJMCRT

Postby BlueTJMCRT » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:19 am

disallow wrote:I have an 05, with a different shifter than you have. However, I have a similar experience. My kids, when they were 2 and 3 years old, loved nothing more than to sit in the driver's seat of the pathy and pull on all the levers and push all the buttons.
t
This is exactly what happened :) My little boy was crawling around in the front seat when I had the issue

jman9895

Postby jman9895 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:40 am

I know what you're talking about with the idle issue. Its normal with pathfinders. First time I felt it I thought I needed a transmission/torque converter combo. Turns out its normal.

Return to “R51 Electrical”