Accessory Socket (power outlets) Fuses Blown

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

FLiPMaRC

Accessory Socket (power outlets) Fuses Blown

Postby FLiPMaRC » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:09 am

I did a search and didn't come up with a thread.

I did a quick trip up to Martha's Vineyard last week. On the way back, I somehow blew the fuses for both the Accessory Sockets. I say both, even though we have four, because the 20amp fuse that's in the glove box is for the Acc sockets that turn off with the car, and the fuse in the engine compartment is for the Acc sockets that's always on (hot plugs).

All I was running was a GPS (on the hot plug) and charging two phones on the other. Anyone else blow those fuses at the same time?

jman9895

Postby jman9895 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:40 am

It could be that one of the devices plugged in had a malfunction. Its also possible that something like a coin or other metal thing fell into one of them and shorted them out.

Try replacing the fuses, with all of the devices plugged in, if they pop immediately, you have a short somewhere. Which means there's either something in one of the sockets, or you have a wiring issue. If it doesnt blow right away, try plugging the devices in one at a time and see if it blows. May help you determine whats going on.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:36 am

Had another road trip last Labor day weekend. The same setup, GPS and cellphones. This time no blown fuses. I was more careful with inserting and pulling out the chargers though :lol:

Return to “R51 Electrical”