Monroe Quick-Struts

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Monroe Quick-Struts

Postby skinny2 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:05 am

Just swapped the front struts with these and so far very happy. For those that don't know, this is a complete assembly with new springs and Monroe Sensa-Trac struts. $228 delivered for both from RockAuto after a 5% discount code "2355848321758144" thanks to smj999smj. The swap was very easy; took about two hours and I wasn't in a rush. The worst part was getting the lower strut bolts off as they were pretty crusty.

The new springs are a tighter coil than the OEM and had two additional rings. Otherwise everything is identical and the fit was perfect. After driving a few miles and letting them settle a little, I gained about 1/2" in height. I'm sure my OEM springs were getting weak now at 120k miles. I didn't find any broken springs on the OEM's but the coating was flaking/rusted off in several places which I'm sure weakens the spring.

After a quick drive it feels a lot better. Less dive during braking, less jump during acceleration, and so far it feels less wobbly on the road. Unfortunately (or fortunately) none of the roads around here are very bumpy so I'll have to wait until next week when I'm on the crappy roads I drive on my commute.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:31 am

8) Nice!

1armyguy

Re: Monroe Quick-Struts

Postby 1armyguy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:12 pm

skinny2 wrote:Just swapped the front struts with these and so far very happy. For those that don't know, this is a complete assembly with new springs and Monroe Sensa-Trac struts. $228 delivered for both from RockAuto after a 5% discount code "2355848321758144" thanks to smj999smj. The swap was very easy; took about two hours and I wasn't in a rush. The worst part was getting the lower strut bolts off as they were pretty crusty.

The new springs are a tighter coil than the OEM and had two additional rings. Otherwise everything is identical and the fit was perfect. After driving a few miles and letting them settle a little, I gained about 1/2" in height. I'm sure my OEM springs were getting weak now at 120k miles. I didn't find any broken springs on the OEM's but the coating was flaking/rusted off in several places which I'm sure weakens the spring.

After a quick drive it feels a lot better. Less dive during braking, less jump during acceleration, and so far it feels less wobbly on the road. Unfortunately (or fortunately) none of the roads around here are very bumpy so I'll have to wait until next week when I'm on the crappy roads I drive on my commute.
How are the Monroe Struts holding up?
Does anyone else have any experience with them on a V6 Pathy?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Re: Monroe Quick-Struts

Postby skinny2 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:04 pm

1armyguy wrote:How are the Monroe Struts holding up?
Does anyone else have any experience with them on a V6 Pathy?
After about 1,000 miles, still quite pleased with them. They feel like fresh OEM as far as I can remember. Quieter over the bumps and feel good even over really rough surfaces. Less motion of the ocean. It still feels a little sloppier through the turns than when it was newer but there's a lot of other parts probably getting a little worn too. I might do the bushings all around one of these days.

1armyguy

Postby 1armyguy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:30 pm

Thank you for the update, skinny2

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”