H&R lowering springs installed...

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Billy T.

H&R lowering springs installed...

Postby Billy T. » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:52 pm

Kicking myself for not taking before measurements, but...

Measures out to be 1.5"s lower than the rear which still has the stock springs in. I was hoping to get more drop as the springs were made for a V6, but the drop seems to be right at the top of the advertised range. I don't want it dumped by any means(well, I do, but I don't want to deal with the associated headaches, especially on a lease rig) The ride is good, way better than stock which I always thought was too soft. Only time will tell if the stock shocks are gonna last.

Rears will go on tomorrow, and I am probably gonna cut a dead coil off the fronts, maybe get another 3/4" drop. Or maybe I will leave it alone, who knows.

FWIW, the front shock assemblies come out super easy. I think they whole job, start to finish took about an hours, and that was BS-ing with the guys the whole time. Super easy for the DIY'er as long as you have a spring compressor.

I'll post pics when the rears are on.

And if anyone with a 08 V8 LE could measure from the edge of the front wheel well to the top of the tire, that would be great. Maybe I'll just go by the dealership tonight and it...
Last edited by Billy T. on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:49 pm

Give them a week or so ... they should settle another quarter inch or so ... usualy new springs will take a little drive time to settle a bit ...

Billy T.

Postby Billy T. » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:48 pm

That is with one coil cut off the rear and one and a half off the front. Front sits about a 1/4 inch higher than the rear. All the bumps stops are pulled right now till I can get smaller ones on. And this is probably about as low as you can go without cutting on the truck.

Ride is pretty good. Still a tick too soft, but shocks should fix that. The rear will be easy, but unfortunately nothing exists in the form of a lowered stiffer front shock for this thing, so I am looking at some different options. The rear of an Acura RSX is pretty much the same, but it will take an adjustable version(koni or kyb) to get the valving right. Lots of options for the rear, though.

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:45 pm

that looks really clean i like it, any rim's in the future?
Last edited by me&pathy on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:09 am

I did a search on H&R's website for these springs. They don't give any info regarding them. My specific question is how is this considered a "sport" spring if there aren't matching shocks with different valving?

Putting stiffer springs in with mismatched shocks can create other handling issues.

Did H&R indicate what type of shocks these should be matched with and more importantly, who makes those shocks?

Billy T.

Postby Billy T. » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:40 am

I'm working on a solution for the shocks. The rear will be easy as there are a number of shock available. The front, not so much, but I will find something. So far, it rides and handles fine with stock shocks. The springs aren't much stiffer than stock at all, just lower, but I did lose the boat handling I had before. Even my girlfriend noticed that it was gone and has no complaints about the ride. But yeah, shocks are the key to this whole deal. And I will surely post up as I find something. FWIW, I own a performance shop, so I am using all my resources to get something going. Also, I already addressed this in an earlier post.

Wheels, yes. Near future, yes. Just trying to decide what to get.

Oh yeah, H&R part number is 29104. It is indeed on their site. But not much info, true that.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:18 am

Billy T. wrote:That is with one coil cut off the rear and one and a half off the front.
Did you cut the H&R springs too?

Billy T.

Postby Billy T. » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:25 am

sorry if that wasn't clear. Yes, H&Rs installed on all corners. One coil cut in back and 1.5 in front. The coils that are cut are the dead coils. Dead coils are the coils that sit completely on top of each other when loaded and have no effect on spring rate, only ride height.

But if anyone gets these, put them on before you cut them. Seems like ride heights of these trucks is all over the place. I have seen stock >07 V6s that sit almost like mine does with the H&Rs. Mine is a 2wd V8 that just sat so damn high. I actually expected the H&Rs to sit way lower than they did without cutting anything...

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:38 pm

Looking good Billy, thanks for the photo. Did you check into air bags for a similar adjustable effect rather than doing the cut. Thanks.

Billy T.

Postby Billy T. » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:17 am

I'd love to bag it, just don't want to deal with the headache. Been thru it before. I just want a firm controlled ride this go around.

I think I found a decent solution for the rear shocks in the form or a Rancho 9000 adjustable. Gonna order them today and see how they work out. I put some Monroe magnums from the front of a chevy 1 ton van on yesterday and I am pretty sure they are valved softer than they stock shock. I'll keep trying till I find something that works, rest assured.

The front seems to ride pretty well, though... which is weird...

Billy T.

Postby Billy T. » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:59 pm

I have some ranchos 9000 shocks now. They are at the full stiff setting and work pretty well. Unfortunately, it brings to light that the rear springs, even the H&Rs are just too soft. Helper bags are ordered and will be here Monday. I went with the Kia Sorento kit as they have the 8" height(which is my inside spring demension is while weighted) I need and should work perfect.

But the ranchos, they are RS999120. From the front of a 1990 Chevy van. And will only work on a lowered rig.

bryan03tls

Postby bryan03tls » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:57 pm

How's the lowering spring holding up!

alloutz79

Postby alloutz79 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:46 pm

just a stupid observation, but on H&R's site it lists :

Pathfinder Typ R51 2005-up Sport Spring 22, not AWD 1.9 1.8 29104-1 $369.00

WTF does it mean, "NOT AWD"?????

isn't everyone using these springs on AWD models? Thanks
I'm just confused

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:20 am

I assumed the AWD was referring to the V8 model which has a full-time system. This is still on my "to-do" list. I was hoping for some more guinea pigs before I pulled the trigger but there only seems to be two people here that have installed them and not much feedback. I'm just curious how the alignment sticks with these. I have enough trouble keeping it aligned as is.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:15 am

any alignment issues with the drop?

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”