MPG's drop after oil change

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

car_bore

MPG's drop after oil change

Postby car_bore » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:41 pm

Hey Guys,

I just had my 120k change oil last week, and I've noticed that my fuel consumption has gone up. I did not change my driving habit nor my daily route, and A/C is set at constant temp. Right now I'm getting ~13-14 mpg after the oil change, and previously I was at 17-19 mpg. What I noticed was that they installed a different oil filter, which is shorter in length than the previous one. I'm not sure what oil they used in my pathy but the receipt shows its a fully synthetic 5w-30 oil. What effect does a shorter oil filter do?

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: MPG's drop after oil change

Postby eieio » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:20 pm

car_bore wrote:Hey Guys,

I just had my 120k change oil last week, and I've noticed that my fuel consumption has gone up. I did not change my driving habit nor my daily route, and A/C is set at constant temp. Right now I'm getting ~13-14 mpg after the oil change, and previously I was at 17-19 mpg. What I noticed was that they installed a different oil filter, which is shorter in length than the previous one. I'm not sure what oil they used in my pathy but the receipt shows its a fully synthetic 5w-30 oil. What effect does a shorter oil filter do?

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!
some years ago Nissan filters were changed, and grew shorter than they had been
is your filter a Nissan filter?
do you know the part number?
between the two - no difference noted at all

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:28 pm

I don't think there's anything in regards to oil/filter that could lower mpg that much. If that's the case, you should also notice a significant change in performance as well. How many tanks of fuel have you gone through since the oil change?

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:24 pm

@eieio

Hi eieio, the oil filter used is a security global L6607. And no, I had my oil changed by some shops, not by nissan.

@skinny2

Hey skinny2, I havent noticed any change in performance, and Im just basing my numbers on the trip computer. I've gone through two tanks of tank already.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:39 pm

It's possible even though it says 5w30 on the slip they put in some other oil weight and this may or may not decrease your fuel millage. Local Toyota dealership insisted they only put 5w20 in my wife's Toyota Camery until I physically witnessed the teck put 5w30 Toyota quart bottles in it one oil change not that it would hurt it at all but they issisted they only use 5w20 in all Camerys. If they put a 40 weight oil in your truck it may drop the fuel millage although it will most likely run just fine on it.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:14 pm

car_bore wrote: Hey skinny2, I havent noticed any change in performance, and Im just basing my numbers on the trip computer. I've gone through two tanks of tank already.
Are you resetting the mpg trip on each fill-up? Mine is pretty accurate but I also always check it to actual. See what your actual mpg is at the pump as well.

Is it possible they significantly lowered the air pressure in your tires?

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:19 pm

@Kestral

Im pretty sure they used 5w-30 on my pathy. Saw the quart bottles they used.

@skinny2

Yep Ive been resetting them eversince I noticed the drop in mpg's. About the tires I might check them out just to be sure. They "looked" underinflated today, maybe because of the change in temp. Im not sure.

Return to “R51 General Chat”