limited steering while in 4x4

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Goliat6288

limited steering while in 4x4

Postby Goliat6288 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:03 am

Hey
Ive had my 07 pathfinder for about 2 yrs now. This winter was the first time i really tried to turn my steering wheel all the way while on 4x4, i think i was doing a u turn. I noticed that it doesnt cut all the way to either side. I cut it all the way and felt something pulling back on it. Switched it back to 2x4 and the pulling stopped, i was also able to turn it a little more. Im new to 4x4 so i dont know if this is normal or not.ive tried searching before putting it up but i havent found anything.
Thanks in advanced

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:59 pm

If you have the standard 4x4 (not auto4x4) It will definitely steer different when locked in. The tires rotate at different speeds when turning and even on slippery surfaces you can feel the resistance a little. If you are turning on a surface that's not completely slippery, it can jerk you around and really cause problems because it binds the drive shafts. That's why you really only want to run 4x4 when the roads are snow covered/slippery.

The LE models come with an auto system has additional hardware that compensates when turning on dry roads.

Kestral

Re: limited steering while in 4x4

Postby Kestral » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:40 am

Goliat6288 wrote:Hey
Ive had my 07 pathfinder for about 2 yrs now. This winter was the first time i really tried to turn my steering wheel all the way while on 4x4, i think i was doing a u turn. I noticed that it doesnt cut all the way to either side. I cut it all the way and felt something pulling back on it. Switched it back to 2x4 and the pulling stopped, i was also able to turn it a little more. Im new to 4x4 so i dont know if this is normal or not.ive tried searching before putting it up but i havent found anything.
Thanks in advanced
Yes if you are not that farmiluar with 4x4 it can drive you nuts thinking there is a problem if you don't have slippage or give in traction when turning. I recommend to everyone though to put your Pathy in 4x4 once a month even in the summer it keeps things moving and loose so you don't have a problem come winter. You can put it in 4x4 on dry pavement if you are going down a long straight road with no turns. Do this for a mile or so then kick it out.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:02 am

This is a good listen/view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOChpji-pto

I'd say your area is from about 2 minutes into the discussion.

Goliat6288

Postby Goliat6288 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:32 am

Thank you for the responses. Ill keep this in mind. I only use 4x4 when it snows.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”