Slap me silly or Go for it?

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

BigDuke6

Slap me silly or Go for it?

Postby BigDuke6 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:19 pm

Ok, maybe its me.

I am having an urge to upgrade from a Nissan to an Infiniti.

More specific trading in my 07 Pathfinder with 97k for a 2011 QX56 with 90k.

Apple to oranges I know.

My pathfinder is exactly as I like it, no problems, I know every part of the vehicle, service records, etc... Newer custom rims, aftermarket DVD's in the headrests.

The QX56 is a bigger vehicle, bigger engine, Leather, etc... all the stuff offered in the luxury line of Nissan.

No payment to low 300's a month.

Am I stupid for even thinking about making this deal?

I know NOTHING about inherent problems of the QX56 like I knew about when I bought my 06 Pathfinder so I am going into it pretty blind on any inherent problems.

The only thing I herd about is the same problems with Nissan which is the cats, and the exhaust rusting. There is also an issue with timing chains with some of them.

They don't seem to have the tranny/radiator problem of the 06 Nissan.

Lay it out for me, am I crazy for even thinking about it?

I think its GREAT time to go look at it because I'm in NO need to get a new vehicle so the deal would have to be awesome to pull the trigger.

I am just looking for objective opinions on my thought process of moving a 97k vehicle for another 97k vehicle even though mine is an SE with aftermarket accessories to a luxury line vehicle.

Thanks!!

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:50 pm

Buy it. If you're like me, and you're thinking about it this much, you know you're going to end up buying it! :)

i wouldn't worry about the mileage as much as age. Statistically, age plays a larger role in reliability than mileage. A high mileage 2011 is most likely a highway car with less wear-and-tear than an older car with the same mileage. Nissans' worst enemy seems to be age. In other words, forget mileage and feel good about trading up in age.

As far as Infiniti vs Nissan, I have both (both '08s) and, while the leather and some trim seems to be a bit nicer, the build quality is about the same. The Infiniti has just as many annoying squeaks and rattles as my Nissan.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:46 pm

It's nice as long as you don't mind the gas mileage. Hopefully, it will stay around the $2/gallon mark, but I'm not holding my breath!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Re: Slap me silly or Go for it?

Postby skinny2 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:56 am

BigDuke6 wrote:Ok, maybe its me.

I am having an urge to upgrade from a Nissan to an Infiniti.

More specific trading in my 07 Pathfinder with 97k for a 2011 QX56 with 90k.
I guess it depends on what you like about the PF and how that differs with the Q. Obviously the Q is much bigger and drives that way. But if luxury is more important than a more nimble drive then it might be worth it. My company vehicle is a Yukon Denali which has a big-ass 6.2L and a lot of nice luxury features. I like jumping into my fairly basic PF at the end of the day.

Real world mpg is about 4mpg less which adds up for me since I drive 20k miles a year. I do like the interior on the Q but I'd probably save a few bucks and buy a loaded Armada. Another complaint on the Q is you have to go to the highest option package to get ventilated seats. That's standard on a lot of other vehicles in that class (Denali for example).

From a financial standpoint....taking on a $300 payment on a vehicle with 100k miles doesn't sound like a good idea at all. Is that a 60 month loan to get that low of a payment??

A loaded '12 Pathfinder LE V8 with 30k miles would be less than a used Q in most cases. Just a little perspective.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:44 am

A 2012 Pathfinder LE V8 with 30K miles is priced about the same as a 2011 QX56 with 90K miles (both hover around $30K on average).

It would be interesting to compare an LE Armada to the QX56. My LE and Infiniti have the same features, trim and buttons. The only differences, really, are interior color options and carpets. The same features that don't work in my Nissan are the same features that don't work in my Infiniti. My Infiniti even has the same transmission quirks as my Nissan. Nissan likes to be consistent in that way.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:55 am

Okay, so I just compared the interior of the 2011 QX56 to my '08 and there's no comparison. Get the QX56. It's ridiculously nice. Even the loaded Armada feels like a Chevy in comparison to the 2011 QX56.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:58 pm

When it's time to replace the Path, I'll have to go full size for towing so I have my eye on the QX56/80 also. I always like to browse around on forums to get to know the vehicle before purchasing and I recently was browsing here, http://infinitiforum.net/infiniti-forum ... y.php?f=13

The timing chain issue is quite concerning as it can be a very expensive repair and in many cases has lead to engine replacement :shock:. Personally I'm not very confident in purchasing until I know how this can be resolved. Maybe just replacing parts (a la our radiators) is enough, but that's not clear to me at this point.

BigDuke6

Postby BigDuke6 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:53 pm

I am changing gears and headed toward an Acura MDX. Has the third row, and is off the charts with reliability and "non" issues.

From my research anyway.

Plus I can get into one cheaper than the Q.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:38 pm

BigDuke6 wrote:I am changing gears and headed toward an Acura MDX. Has the third row, and is off the charts with reliability and "non" issues.

From my research anyway.

Plus I can get into one cheaper than the Q.
What year? My wife has a '12 that's been flawless for 60k miles. The '14+ has much better mpg but looks more minivan-ish and has some annoyances with everything being controlled on the touchscreen. Great cars though.

BigDuke6

Postby BigDuke6 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:17 pm

2012 MDX with the tech package.

Seeing prices from 30-33k for what looks like turned in leases. miles hovering around 20-30k.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:17 pm

Yes there are a lot of '12 models coming off lease starting now. $30k sounds appealing. They were heavily discounted when new due to the all new '14 model coming part way into 2013. We only paid $40k for a new Tech with a sticker around $48k.

Return to “R51 General Chat”