Independent Fog light Mod

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

yeziam

Postby yeziam » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:38 pm

Nice write up. Any idea if it's possible to have this mod while keeping the stock switch?

07-SV-650

Postby 07-SV-650 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:45 pm

I'd like to do it and keep the stock switch as well, mainly to use fogs and high beams at the same time.

hollywoodstylin

Postby hollywoodstylin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:10 am

07-SV-650 wrote:I'd like to do it and keep the stock switch as well, mainly to use fogs and high beams at the same time.
Touchdown wrote: The fogs will now come on with the parking lights, main headlights and remain on with the high beams. I'm sure someone who wanted them turned off with the highbeams could put in a relay powered off the tail lights etc., but since I never turn off the fogs anyway this works perfect for me and I'm sure a lot of others!
If you're mainly just wanting to use fogs and high beams at the same time, it's possible with the mod Touchdown posted. Otherwise, maybe this module from KP Technologies will work, but it only says it's compatible with the 03-08 G35 and 04-07 Maxima. That's probably because no one else has confirmed if it would work on other vehicles yet. Maybe get look at the instructions or get in contact with KP Technologies to see if it will work.[/url]

JP1548

Postby JP1548 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:44 pm

I know its been quite some time since the last post on this thread, but I am about to undergo this mod. I have a 2006 that I'm about to install the fogs on, but the headlight stalk doesn't have the fog light setting. Is this still possible with the stalk I have? It would be a whole lot easier than running new wiring to a switch in the cab.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:24 am

I know its been quite some time since the last post on this thread, but I am about to undergo this mod. I have a 2006 that I'm about to install the fogs on, but the headlight stalk doesn't have the fog light setting. Is this still possible with the stalk I have? It would be a whole lot easier than running new wiring to a switch in the cab.
I would look and see if you have the same wiring and fuses as I do. If so, you won't need the same stalk because essentially you're bypassing it. If not, you'll need to run a few wires outside the wiring harness to accomplish the same thing. Good luck! :)

unmeloy

Postby unmeloy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:21 pm

STICKY!!!

JP1548

Postby JP1548 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:34 am

I just finished this mod. It worked perfectly with the original stalk and only took 10 minutes at best. The hardest part by far was removing the plastic fog light plugs, and that was mostly because of poor visibility. Once I climbed under the car it was a lot easier to see what I was doing. Now the fog lights come on with the running lights, and stay on with the headlights.

jhg120

Postby jhg120 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:18 pm

Sorry to revive old thread. Just bought 2011 Pathfinder S which does not have fog lights. I plan on doing this mod, and to save money, could I buy the listed item, plug it in, do the mod, and NOT have to order new stalk?? I would think it would work but wanted opinions. Thanks guys.

Please see link to lights. They look OEM.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/331163074971?fits ... Pathfinder[/url]

JP1548

Postby JP1548 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:33 am

Yeah it will definitely work. That's exactly what I did with the in line fuse thing. It works great. The wiring should be there, at least mine was, to plug the lights in and snap them into place. The whole process took about an hour and most of it was getting the fake light plugs out.

jhg120

Postby jhg120 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:08 am

Did the install and mod last night. Took alot longer than I thought. Hardest part was getting fog plugs out. The clips are tough, the 10mm screw's were even harder since I had no clue they were there. I also had to move the screw clips to another spot for the new fog light to attach to. The wiring was there, just plug in.

The mod was tough. I bought a 10 gauge in line fuse. The wiring was to thick so I had to trim it down to wrap it around the fuse. But once it's done, the lights work perfectly. Always on fog lights are great.

Great find and thanks for the write up.

Jayb52

Postby Jayb52 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:10 pm

In my xterra I just rewired at the steering wheel stalk. Anyone done this with their path? Figure you would need to isolate the power line going into the fog switch, cut it off and splice it to the parking power line.

valouno

Worked perfect,great instruction,thanks

Postby valouno » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:56 am

Touchdown wrote:Just to clarify:
With this mod, the fog lights cannot be turned off by the stock foglight switch on the column any more. But like I said, I always use mine while driving, so it works for me!

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:38 am

mar1 wrote:dunno if this helps in any way, but i got a GCC specs '08 SE

fog lights, low beams, and high beams each on individual on/off and u can use any combination u like, even fog lights alone with beams off
also owning a GCC(mid-east) speces... my fogs will only come on after the lighy switch is moced to the parking light position....then any combination after that...

ValleyWalker

Update

Postby ValleyWalker » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:24 am

Thanks for the tips everyone... easy peasy

2012 Pathy:
F7 = Tail or parking lights
F10= Fogs lights

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ouw1quccznyui ... r.jpg?dl=0

And only b/c I'm MacGyver's Dad... (and wasn't going to the store)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6zu8t9un5ynv ... r.jpg?dl=0

I'll pick up a 10amp in-line fuse next time I'm out and throw it into the glove box as my spare. My current little setup is only a once and done use; if any of the 3 fuses blows I need to replace the whole thing b/c I soldered them.

Final product:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5hd7lmqc97lzt ... g.jpg?dl=0

Keep in mind: Any time the parking lights are ON, the fogs are ON. Activating your High Beams will NOT turn off the fogs. Turning your Fog light swithch to OFF will NOT turn it OFF. Any time your parking lights are ON, the fogs are ON.

InNeedOfBoost

Postby InNeedOfBoost » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:23 pm

I remember back when I had my Sentra Spec V, there was a mod for this that required just a piece of wire to jump two relays under the hood. That allowed you to turn the fogs on independantly and still being able to use the stock switch.

I gotta find that thread, maybe there's a similar way.

Return to “General Automotive”