Power steering system maintenance

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Gray

Power steering system maintenance

Postby Gray » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:10 am

Looking through the Service manual I don't see a recommended change interval for the power steering fluid although I've read somewhere that if the power steering pump gets out of spec or gets wear damaged it implys some dollars to replace it. Have any seen a change interval for PSF or check schedule other than to keep the reservoir full? How often should the power steering fluid be changed or should one just go by color degradation.

Somewhere on the board I've read of at least one user who had to replace a power steering pump but maybe that was due to use of oversized tires or other stress to that system.

Npath

Re: Power steering system maintenance

Postby Npath » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:31 am

I went through the service and maintenace guide and I didn't see when it should be flushed and replaced. I did see at topping off the PS fluid at certain amount of KM's, but yeah, nothing.

AZRoushStang

Postby AZRoushStang » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:27 pm

Yeah I was looking for the same thing today...more for flush and fill procedures.

My dealer today said that it should be changed out. They also said every 15,000 miles (but that is because they want me to spend $90 every year).

I suspect that it falls in the 60k-100k range, but even the service manual has no flush procedures.

Anybody have info on how to do this?

Gray

Postby Gray » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:19 pm

AZRoushStang wrote:Anybody have info on how to do this?
I had a QuickLube drive through place do the power steering system flush and replacement with a synthetic universal low viscosity PSF for cold climates. They put two tubes into the PSF reservoir, one to suck fluid being returned from the pump and the other a filler tube to keep the reservoir about half full. The whole thing took the tech about 10 minutes with the truck running and while I was slowly turning the wheels back and forth from lock to lock. Here's a BITOG thread on some synthetic PSF considerations;

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... w=1#UNREAD

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”