erractic mother issue, help needed!

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

headsup

erractic mother issue, help needed!

Postby headsup » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:36 am

Hi Folks, 91 SE owner here, 200,000 KMs.

starts fine, runs a bit, then hesitates, stutters, backfires, almost dies.

I stop, wait a couple minutes, start again, sometimes getting a half mile down the road, sometimes more, sometimes less, then pull over, lose power, same symptoms, .
I've check air flow, as well as the airflow sensor, one mechanic who saw it, said change fuel filter, I did. Same problem.

Then i took it back for him, he disconnected the EGR hose to the sound, and put a bolt in it (temp fix), I got in the truck, drove home, after a mile or two, started acting up again.
pulled over, open the hood, wiggled a couple things, and cursed, on my way again.
Intermittent, pain in the butt,
fuel pump? coil?
going out to try another drive shortly...
but this is not fun, any ideas, thoughts, welcome...
thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:02 am

Sounds like a bad distributor. First thing you have to do is figure out what is causing it to stop running, so when you can duplicate the problem, see if you have any spark. If you don't, there's a pretty good chance it's the distributor. If you have spark, then you likely have a fuel delivery issue. I would start by checking the fuel pressure and confirm that it's within specs.

headsup

weirdest of things!

Postby headsup » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:00 am

It has never stopped running, just threatened to.
Yesterday, I took a chance and decided to go for a drive to see further what the heck was going on, I even hooked up the trailer.

I'd know with in 1 or 2 miles if the problem was getting worse or not.
After one mile, it predictably coughed and sputtered and lost most power, (always happens after I let my foot of the gas).

I pulled over, pooped the hood, and just for giggles I put the vacuum hose back on the EGR, (mechanic had removed it and plugged it, and thought that was the fix.)

anyways, from that point on, and driving 50 or 60 miles pulling a trailer (added some gas along the way) the problem had vanished.

So no idea, why it appeard, and less idea why it vanished.

I'll be working and using the PF today, so we'll see.
might have been bad gas, and/or sitting for at least two weeks....just wierd, but happy it's back to normal.... (for now)

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:49 am

LOL after reading the subject line a few times, I finally understand. My problem is more on the erratic Mother-In-Law side...

Glad the problem sorted itself out. Keep us posted.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”