2001 bose nightmare

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

peshewa

2001 bose nightmare

Postby peshewa » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:04 pm

I have searched here but can not find, simple direct explanations on installing an aftermarket head unit when the bose nightmare is stock already. No sound at all. I even installed the metra amp modulator thingy with 4 individual pots to regulate the level but nothing works. I suspect there is an amp trigger that has to be dealt with but I need to know how to do that. I have seen threads about rewiring everything from scratch or ripping out all the individual bose amps & that seems lacking in thought - there must be a much simpler way to do this! Can someone please link me a thread or threads on the known fixes for this please! I am dealing with a 2001 Pathfinder here.

terry2001

Postby terry2001 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:53 am

check fuses in the tray to the left lower of the steering wheel

fastpakr

Postby fastpakr » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:53 am

Check fuses and confirm the basics like power and ground to the radio. I'm running a JVC radio in my '01 QX4 with Bose system. No adapter at all other than the basic wiring harness.

2537buzz

Postby 2537buzz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:45 pm

I do not want to hijack the thread but wondering if any of you guys ever encountered an issue with the radio not turning on, this is with an aftermarket (kenwood). My almost 17 year o,d so. Saved his money to have a nice aftermarket system installed in his 04 LE. He had it do e at PC Richards. The system worked great when we left the place, then next day worked fine, then out of the blue we turned the truck off went shopping, returned, turned the truck on and the radio was dead. My son and my father ( I was working) took the truck back to PC Richards and the installer told them that Kenwoods are very sensitive and will go into protect mode sometimes. He did a reboot on it and again it worked fine and he showed my son how to do it id it happens again. Well, less then 24 hours later same thing happened. I am bringing it back tomorrow, just wondering if it could be something like this aftermarket not jiving with the Bose speakers or something like that. I was told and crutchfield had it listed as compatible for the vehicle. Just does not seem right. I am to,d it is all plug and play and no cutting of wires so I can't see it being the install although not sure. Called Kenwood directly this morning and they thought it was a bad unit, but said the installer can do a bench test. I would assume he would have done that first time it was brought back but who knows.

terry2001

Postby terry2001 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:48 am

i dont think anythink else would cause the prblem that you have .you may have a loose wire or the kenwood deck is bad .i have had several kenwoods and have not had that problem http://1982corvette.shutterfly.com/pictures/118

2537buzz

Postby 2537buzz » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:50 pm

Brought it back to PC Richards today and installer said that corporate just sent email out regarding issues with the newer model Kenwoods. He switched it out for a higher end model Pioneer. Personally I likwd the Kenwood better but got tired of bringing it back so much. And my so. Is happy he just has somethinf that works. Thanks.

2537buzz

Postby 2537buzz » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:53 pm

Just looked at your pictures. That looks like the system I had. Maybe the installer just told me BS. At any rate I would not use PC Richards again. Your Kenwood looks nice installed.

terry2001

Postby terry2001 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:46 pm

best thing i did on that car was change the stereo.the factory head was just junk.now i have decent tunes.i also added good speakers http://1982corvette.shutterfly.com/pictures/125

2537buzz

Postby 2537buzz » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:35 pm

Nice system Terry. What kind of speakers did you get? I would like to maybe surprise my son and buy him the speakers for his birthday since he saved for the radio. I will tell you I will not ever have any other install do e at PC Richards. I am going back tomorrow for the third time in a week. The first two were because of the Kenwood shutting down, and as I said the installer said it was because the init was sensitive to voltages and it goes into protect mode and that they had just gotten an email from corporate telling him of the issues so he switched the system put for a Pioneer. Now, today I went to have sirius turned on and the radio the new radio displayed antenna not connected so it appears the nit wit installer forgot to connect the sirius antenna after he swapped the system out yesterday so tomorrow it goes back foe the third time. I think you are right Terry, the Kenwood would have been fine but obviously it was either a bad head unit or connection issue by the installer. Really frustrating. I feel so bad for my son, but tomorrow it will beta,en care of once and for all and they lost a sale on a remote start. Real nice job on the install on your system. Elaine

terry2001

Postby terry2001 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:12 pm

speakers are kenwoods excelon.for the money i thought these sounded the best.there are better speakers out there but they can cost a lot. listen to any speaker any where ,get the model number and then check to see if you can buy them from amazon.

brht27

Postby brht27 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:18 am

Asking about a Corvette on a Nissan forum? Really?

terry2001

Postby terry2001 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:43 am

A aftermarket stereo and speakers will work in any thing .This one just happens to be in corvette.

2537buzz

Postby 2537buzz » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:10 am

Ahhh No. I asked about a Kenwood stereo, that I had installed in my 04 Pathfinder LE and did not work. Kept going into protect mode. This gentleman, was nice enough to respond and tell me that he has that Kenwood in his Corvette. Please read. Elaine

JJsCarAudio101

Postby JJsCarAudio101 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:59 pm

I have installed radios for 17 years. The cars with either a bose, infinity, mark levinson, beats audio, factory alpine systems are not always easy to make work. Yes there are adapters that help you just "plug and play" the new radio into your vehicle. But these systems dont always work 100% in the real world. Issues will arise. Sometimes the speakers are bad, other times the factory amp is going out and its just coincidence that issues happen after a aftermarket radio is installed. From my experience, issues happen when you have work done at any shop, on a busy day and the mechanic, installer, tech is rushed. On my own vehicles I drop the car off all day durin g the week and have the shop take all the time they need. I want a good job done.

JJsCarAudio101

Postby JJsCarAudio101 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:02 pm

By the way.....Dont get me wrong. I know that there are installers that do a hack job on customers cars. So its not always the car or the product. Sometimes the installer is not a professional. But you get what you pay for.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”