97 Pathy stalls

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

pappaanimal

97 Pathy stalls

Postby pappaanimal » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:33 pm

I have a 97 Pathy, 3.6L V6 4x4 with 237000 miles. I recently(June last year) changed the timing belt and tensioner, water pump, idler pullies, and the distributer(the whole unit). Everything ran great for about 6 months. Then one morning on my way to work about 5 minutes from the house the car just died. No sputter, or jerking, just shut off like I turned the key. All the dash lights still on, the radio still playing, headlights still on. I pulled off the road and parked the car. When I tried to start it, it cranked but would not start. It is getting fuel. It does not have spark. I checked the distributer with my multimeter and it is getting everything it needs to get but still no spark. Two days later it starts and runs fine. It runs fine until today. Same story, has fuel, no spark. Could this be the PCM? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:22 pm

It's more than likely a bad distributor, again, especially if it was an aftermarket replacement. The aftermarkets' reliability history tend to be not so good. I prefer to stick with genuine Nissan remans for that reason, albeit they do cost a bit more.

Thurlow

Postby Thurlow » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:58 am

Need an update. Did a new dist. solve the problem. I have a similar issue and am on the verge of getting a new OEM dist. Did you trace it to the control unit (computer)? What happened?

pappaanimal

update

Postby pappaanimal » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:09 am

Sorry for not posting back sooner. I got rock auto to send me a new distributor under warrenty. I lined it up and dropped it in. It fired right up and runs great. I have plans to get an OEM replacement before this aftermarket goes bad as well. I am guessing that it will go bad in about 10 months.

Thurlow

Engine dying/chasing gremlins

Postby Thurlow » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:03 pm

OK. So far a new OEM (Hitachi) dist, new and relocated knock sensor, new MAF sensor, new canister purge valve solenoid/lines blown down and temp see through fuel filter inst. just down stream of the carbon canister (working very well). On the way is a new OEM (Hitachi) throttle pos. sensor which combines the idle pos. set switch as voltages were way out of spec.

Couldn't make it around the block. Had to put it in first and keep it near 3,000 RPM's and made it back home.

This does not sound like a fuel pump or filter problem. At idle I hear a click and it hiccups and shortly dies with another click. Tomorrow I check the BARO thing with my new vac pump.

Oh, and no codes! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot guys. Been a month now. Suggestions?

Thanks. Bob

rotorav8r

Did you figure it out?

Postby rotorav8r » Fri May 01, 2015 11:50 am

Did you ever figure anything out? I'm having a similar issue.

I did timing and water pump also. Started getting the missing. Engine would bog down and die at stop lights unless I gave it throttle. It always starts right back up. I could also sense some hesitation during acceleration but mostly while driving it seemed pretty good. I replaced the distributor with a new one. It seems better now, but once in a while it cuts out still. I've sprayed all the vacuum lines and they seem fine.

Any ideas? What did you do to yours?

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”