R50 Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Oleschool

R50 Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Postby Oleschool » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:24 am

My PF needs valve cover gaskets and I am looking for information from others who have done this.I realize I have to pull the intake to do the d/s and I've read some of the hoses are a pain to get off.Should they be ordered?I'd like to order all the parts and be able to start and finish without delay.

1)What gaskets/parts do I need besides the v/c set?
2) What else should be done while she's apart?I've already relocated the knock sensor.

Thanks,

97Pathfunder

Postby 97Pathfunder » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:20 pm

If it needs a tune up I would certainly do that since you need to pull the manifold to do that side. Just a thought

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:35 pm

You don't have to pull the intake manifold, just the upper plenum, so you'll need a plenum gasket along with those valve cover gaskets. If any of the coolant hoses under the plenum are leaking or questionable, it's a good time to replace them; there's an elbow hose at the rear that's a real pain to get to and can be damaged if you are not careful. The EGR passage pipe can be a pain, too. I've had a couple EGR valves break off in the pipe fitting and you may not be able to get a new passage pipe, anymore. Soak it with rust penetrant!

Oleschool

Postby Oleschool » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:29 pm

Thanks for the reply.It seems you're the one who always responds.Thanks for the heads up on the coolant hose and the egr.I have been spraying it and am hoping that its not too much of a pain.

BTW I went to a PartSource and found the gaskets I needed were roughly 60 bucks more than what the factory gaskets cost through a dealership.

It pays to ask.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:17 pm

Nissan is usually pretty reasonable with their prices when it comes to gaskets and seals. For aftermarket parts, I usually go to Rockauto.com if I don't need the part right away.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”