rocking and rolling... not in the good way

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

iheartmypathy

rocking and rolling... not in the good way

Postby iheartmypathy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:16 pm

Hi all.

So I have an 05 R51 with the rancho quick lift. Ive had issues aligning it since pretty much day one of the lift. I also had the longer cam bolts added in. A new problem has arisen to the point where it feels unsafe to drive. The back roads here in NH arent the greatest, lots of potholes and large humps from the frost heaves remain. When driving along the bumpy areas the trucks ass end kicks out and sways, and the whole thing rocks. Also the slip light comes on during these events which is a new event.

Any ideas??

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:14 pm

I am assuming your rear shocks are toast. The slip light comes on when traction is being lost. Only a few things that can cause that, major alignment issues, bad tires or bad suspension components (bad bushing, ball joint in LCA or shocks).

Did you change the rear shocks with the lift or just add spacers?

iheartmypathy

Postby iheartmypathy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:25 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I did replace the rears and added the spacers, all in 2013. Do you think they could crap out in that short of time? They've been in for 2 years this month.

...just read a couple amazon reviews for the rancho shocks and people have had em crap out after 6mo to a year. damnit. and now that I think of it, Ive thought for quite some time now that the ass end looks like its sagging.

Thanks for the help... Bilsteins here I come.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:53 pm

I would def say replace them. The pathfinder is EXTREMELY hard on its rear suspension. I read plenty of reviews on the rancho rear shocks being short lived. They have a tendency to blow, which is why I decided to go with the bilstein HD rears. I've had them in for 10k and they def smoothen out the ride. I would also suggest the airlift for the rear. Run 12-15psi in them for normal driving. You will notice a huge difference with that combination.

Also, once you get everything installed you will need a good alignment. I use Firestone and get it alighned twice a year (buy the lifetime alignment package,it pays for itself over and over). When you find a good alignment guy always request him. I suggest looking for the oldest alignment tech you can find (usually like 65yo and looks like they have smoked for their whole life), he will have seen it all and know how to adjust everything to make sure you get it into spec.

Any questions shoot me a PM. I'll help you out. Good luck.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:39 am

it's hard to sort out these problems when mods have been done
as has been said, tire condition (and size, if not OEM) and alignment are BIG deals
if the shocks are no good, obviously replace them (Bilsteins are good)
rear suspension air bags may be of benefit, as the rear springs are probably weak (probably the reason for the rear end sag)

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:13 am

iheartmypathy wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I did replace the rears and added the spacers, all in 2013. Do you think they could crap out in that short of time? They've been in for 2 years this month.

...just read a couple amazon reviews for the rancho shocks and people have had em crap out after 6mo to a year. damnit. and now that I think of it, Ive thought for quite some time now that the ass end looks like its sagging.

Thanks for the help... Bilsteins here I come.
I wouldn't toss your shocks first, as they don't affect ride height. And the rear shocks can't affect alignment at all. What you're describing here sounds like a spring problem (possibly one of several problems if alignment remains an issue).

The rear springs on these trucks are really soft. Mine isn't lifted and bottomed really, really badly even when empty with only 28K miles before I put the Airlift kit in. It drove the same way you're describing. Basically any sizeable bump on any road would upset both ends and kick the rear around. Airlift with 5-10 psi, or even 0 psi and capped keeps the rear in check.

If you're having consistent trouble with alignment there's a lot of things that could be...

iheartmypathy

Postby iheartmypathy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:50 am

ShipFixer wrote:
I wouldn't toss your shocks first, as they don't affect ride height. And the rear shocks can't affect alignment at all. What you're describing here sounds like a spring problem (possibly one of several problems if alignment remains an issue).

The rear springs on these trucks are really soft. Mine isn't lifted and bottomed really, really badly even when empty with only 28K miles before I put the Airlift kit in. It drove the same way you're describing. Basically any sizeable bump on any road would upset both ends and kick the rear around. Airlift with 5-10 psi, or even 0 psi and capped keeps the rear in check.

If you're having consistent trouble with alignment there's a lot of things that could be...

Maybe I'll get the airlift to start and go from there :) Thanks!

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”