Suspension getting worse ???

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

txcatsailor01

Suspension getting worse ???

Postby txcatsailor01 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:37 pm

Alright, about a year and a half /(45,000 miles AGO) I upgraded my 2006 Pathfinder with the Rancho Quicklift. My goal was to get 285's on because I go down to the Padre Island National Seashore a couple of times a year. This would give me clearance and flotation. For over a year all was great. It did as I wanted.

Then, recently my ride started to get really bad, wobbly at higher speeds, it just bounced all around. I thought it had to be a shock issue. I went back and forth with the Rancho folks because I saw some leakage from one of the shocks. I had all four replaced, changed all the sway links, sway bushings, and added the Air Lift Bags in the rear as well. That settled the issue down about 75%. It was livable anyway. Then another few thousand miles later its as bad or worse than the beginning. Now I have a total of 170,000 miles on the truck.

My next step (as I see it) is to replace the rear lower control arms ?? My question is, what are the odds that the springs are just shot and need to be replaced? After the LCA's where do I go from there?

Has anyone dealt with this before?? Thanks in advance.....

The Not So Shining Path

Postby The Not So Shining Path » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:48 pm

Check alignment. Easy to fix if that's the issue.

That might also lead you to needing to replace the cam bolts, which might lead to you replacing the LCAs after you destroy the LCAs getting the bolts out...

Going through this exact scene too right now, except I don't have a lift.

txcatsailor01

Postby txcatsailor01 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Have you already done an alignment? Did it solve it? I'm going to be replacing these tires soon, so I had been holding out on the alignment.

Also, would the alignment tech be able to determine bad parts? I have heard that new upgraded rear springs and LCA's should be next on the list, but I didn't want to jump off and have to replace everything. Trying to figure out how to troubleshoot with some methodology.

The springs I know I can do myself, it's the LCA's that have be a little nervous about doing....

The Not So Shining Path

Postby The Not So Shining Path » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:40 am

Yes, and it is out significantly, but can't be adjusted because the cam bolts are seized, which means new cam bolts which almost certainly means new LCAs because the bushings are probably rusted onto the bolts...

I also discovered that one of the Rancho shocks I put on about a year ago has failed and the other is weak. So that is obviously not helping. I will be getting Bilsteins along with my new LCAs this week I guess.

I have owned my Path since new. That's something I need to keep in mind, because it was a very solid, smooth, comfortable ride, especially so on the bumpy mountain trail near my Dad's place, and on the 6500km trip down to Disney and back we took in its third year.

So I don't have any complaints about the suspension or the ride (OK maybe the light spring in the rear), so the fault is mine for not doing more and better maintenance.

The brakes, now - the brakes are not good enough...

txcatsailor01

Postby txcatsailor01 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:34 am

Thanks for the insight. After I get my tires, I'm going to look at springs and an alignment.....

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”