2004 new blower motor doesn't work

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

browntd12155

2004 new blower motor doesn't work

Postby browntd12155 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:33 am

About 6 months ago, my blower motor started making noises, sometimes it would warm up and be okay, other times it would just squeal for the whole drive. I knew it was the bearings or something with the blower motor, but waited to fix it. Eventually it locked up completely and wouldn't spin.

I got a new blower motor from PartsGeek:
2004 Nissan Pathfinder Blower Motor - 700044 TYC
The installation was easy enough, but now the blower motor won't turn on. I removed the blower motor but kept the plug in to take a look. It seems to bump a little bit when I turn the car on, but it doesn't spin, regardless of manual or auto fan setting. Anybody have any ideas? Should I take a multimeter to it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:54 pm

Apply 12v directly to the uninstalled motor's terminals. If it runs-it's good. If not, you need another motor. If it runs, reinstall the motor-making sure you don't bind it any way. If you don't get ANY fan speed out of it when it's installed it's probably the relay. If you only get certain speeds (like it will only run on the HIGH setting) then it's the resistor.

browntd12155

Postby browntd12155 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:15 am

Thanks moymurfs,

I switched the ignition and blower relays and the car still turned on, so I believe that the relay is okay. I also checked all the fuses, just in case and they were all good.

Finally, I took out the resistor, figured out the input and output lines, and hotwired them without the resistor, bingo, full speed on the fan. The resistor usually fail-safes into full speed mode, but apparently it has failed to the point of breaking the circuit.

Your way would have been a much faster way to determine the fan was good, sorry I didn't get your advice before I tried the other avenues.

Thanks!!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”