cant use a synthetic and have 2 conventional types in mind

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

suzonka

cant use a synthetic and have 2 conventional types in mind

Postby suzonka » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:53 pm

in my 2003 LE pathfinders manual it states do not use a synthetic oil , so I have been changing the oil at 4,000 miles with a filter Nissan type and using conventional mobile 5000 or Quaker state 10 W 30 with 110,000 mile on the engine , what is a better of the 2 oils , or should I just go to a big brand name like castrol or Pennzoil ?

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:24 pm

I don't see you having an issue running any conventional motor oil. All these oils all have to meet the industry standard. I personally prefer Valvoline but lately I just get the best deal at the parts store. The OEM Nissan filter is very good but you could run a purolator, Fram, or mobil brand filter no problem. This situation is just like soda: just depends on what you prefer coke or Pepsi.

suzonka

also on the weight of the conventional oil

Postby suzonka » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:02 pm

porksoda wrote:I don't see you having an issue running any conventional motor oil. All these oils all have to meet the industry standard. I personally prefer Valvoline but lately I just get the best deal at the parts store. The OEM Nissan filter is very good but you could run a purolator, Fram, or mobil brand filter no problem. This situation is just like soda: just depends on what you prefer coke or Pepsi.
your answer sounds very logical , and how about the weight 5- 30, 10 30 , or 10 40?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:59 pm

Keep in mind your manual is 15 years old and synthetics weren't widely excepted by manufacturers back then. Time has passed and use of synthetics are more common place. You can use synthetic oil in your engine without any problems, if you wish to. It's not going to hurt the engine.

suzonka

synthetic oil seeps

Postby suzonka » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:36 am

smj999smj wrote:Keep in mind your manual is 15 years old and synthetics weren't widely excepted by manufacturers back then. Time has passed and use of synthetics are more common place. You can use synthetic oil in your engine without any problems, if you wish to. It's not going to hurt the engine.
are you sure because I have still found up to date articles saying synthetic oils will seep into seals more readily than conventional oils.? Hmmmm :shock:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:41 am

There's no difference in the seals in your VQ engine than there is in the VQ engines used in the R51 Pathfinders...and a whole lot of R51 owners, including myself, are using synthetic oil without any problems. But, if you're worried about it, keep using conventional. Conventional oils these days are very good. Any oil these days will work just fine in your Pathy so long as it's the proper viscosity and the oil is certified by the American Petroleum Institute.

suzonka

conventional oil recommendation pathfinder

Postby suzonka » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:03 pm

smj999smj wrote:There's no difference in the seals in your VQ engine than there is in the VQ engines used in the R51 Pathfinders...and a whole lot of R51 owners, including myself, are using synthetic oil without any problems. But, if you're worried about it, keep using conventional. Conventional oils these days are very good. Any oil these days will work just fine in your Pathy so long as it's the proper viscosity and the oil is certified by the American Petroleum Institute.
thank you for your help

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”