Air Bag expert!

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

Air Bag expert!

Postby Kestral » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:12 am

I find I have become sort of an expert knowing weather or not a R51 Pathfinder has added aftermarket rear airbags. It's so strange that's the first thing I notice on all R51's that go by. You can always tell the R51 "Sag" in the rear "yup there goes another one without airbags!" The other day I was at the gas station and there was another Pathy next to mine with the "Sag" so I asked the owner ...sir do you notice your Pathfinder sagging in the rear compared to mine that is level or even slightly higher in the rear? He said yes why is that?? Long story short I think I talked him into a set of airbags.

Estrait

So?

Postby Estrait » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:08 pm

What would you recommend?

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:10 am

Frankly I would go with the Airbag 1000 brand. I have the Firestone bags in mine and although they seem to work fine the large washers that Firestone uses are steel and Airbag 1000's are plastic the steel washers have a tendency to make noise if you go over bumps. I may glue them in place as it can be annoying. You will notice a big difference in the drivability of your R51 with the addition of the bags. Play around with the bag pressure to see what you like I like my to be stiff so I keep my bags at around 13-15 psi when not towing you will prob find it a bit stiff for your liking but I often throw several hundred pounds of copier machines in the back of my Pathy so the ride evens out. The R51 is much more useful and capable once you install airbags. My father borrowed my Pathy last year to go on a trip and with 800 pounds of passengers 300 pounds of luggage and my fathers battery operated scooter hanging off the back of the hitch with a weight of aprox 600 pounds the truck rode and performed fantastic with the bags set at 22 psi.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:47 am

I've had the Airbag 1000's in place for a number of years. At least four years. For $75 or whatever I paid for them, I honestly didn't expect them to be faultless for this long. But I've never had a loss of air, noise, etc. Very happy with them and they make a huge difference. Best money you can spend on the PF.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”