Hells Revenge Test

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

ZzZleeper

Hells Revenge Test

Postby ZzZleeper » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:48 am

Hello from Utah!

So as some of you know, i recently did a 2in spacer lift and some wheels/tires on my 05 R51. We decided to really test it out with a trip down to Moab, Utah. We went with a pretty big group, most had lifted Jeeps and my brother and parents have lifted FJ Cruisers, and my brother in-law has a lifted Tacoma. We got there on Saturday, and jumped on the trail called "Hells Revenge". They rate it as a level 6 trail, and not recommended for Novice drivers, and Stock vehicles.
http://www.moabtourismcenter.com/Hells- ... Trail.html

So, this was my first time EVER really doing any climbing and my first time in Moab even though ive lived in Utah my whole life LOL. This trail was absolutely INSANE. I've never been more scared in a car in my life, but it was a blast!

Over all, the pathfinder handled everything that the other vehicles did. I didnt get stuck on anything, didnt scrape or high center on anything, and never needed straps or anything of the sort. The only damage i got, was i dragged the rear bumper slightly on a dip incline. The ride was really nice, and not too rough.

The only issue i really ran into down there was the lack of a rear locker. any time id get 2 wheels in the air, it just started spinning and didnt want to move. At that point i just had to adjust my line to keep atleast 3 wheels on the ground and it would go right up. But the FJ's have the solid rear, and a locker. The things i had to reset my line on, the FJs just hit their lockers and went right over with ease.

Does anyone here have a rear locker installed? Im pretty sure that will be my next purchase along with decent rock sliders.

Anyways, here are some pictures. They dont give the best angles, and dont do the trail justice. But if your curious of what the trail intails, just check it out on Youtube!

Heres a video of the start of the trail, i was too busy S**ting myself to take any pictures of us doing it.
https://youtu.be/M8G-v1BpGsw

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:53 pm

Very cool. Its always good to see R51s out there getting used.

If you look over in the Driveline and Powertrain sub forum we have a thread going about a R200 locker. So far the only successful install was by LesterB with a Powertrax C200k (lunchbox).

Steve over at Rugged Rocks is looking for someone interested in trying the ARB for C200k if you want selectable.

Quaife sells a helical limited slip for the R200 (350z) that paired with the ABLS should perform well.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:27 pm

Sweet pictures man love your Pathy i was just in Moab in september.
Looks like you had a blast on the sandstone rollercoaster lol how did it feel going up and all you can see is the sky lol
When i did that trail i had a front locker so i never had any issues there.
I know there is some members working on a rear locker.
But i can tell you the next best thing is a automatic front locker.
Lokka makes one and i have tested it out in Moab and the harsh terrain in AZ.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=12769

I was unfortunate to wheel the entire trail bymyself so the more extreme sections like hells gate and escalator i couldnt do :/ maybe next time when i have a spotter lol
Thanks for sharing your pictures now i miss Moab lol.

ZzZleeper

Postby ZzZleeper » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:35 am

Lol you are one brave man to be taking on that trail by yourself! I had a blast doing it, but there is no way i would have made it thru the parts i did, if i didnt have a spotter lol.

But thats funny you saw that guide Jeep right there, we actually ran into him at the same spot. One of our jeeps just made it up thru Hells Gate, and then he came right up it after. He made it look like childs play.

I would love some more info on the front locker setup you were using! i never even considered going front before the rear. But now thinking back, a front would have been a little more helpful in the spots i was struggling with. the second one of the front wheels was slightly elevated, i would lose almost all traction until i really got on it. And then id get the wheel hop and start sliding around.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:45 am

I recently got that front locker in a group buy but its still cheap at around $369 i believe i did install it on my own but i would recomend someone who knows how to since i didnt use shims..long story ill find you the thread on it in a different forum.
Front locker will help you as much a rear one but since its automatic it will engage everytime you are in 4x4 and you can turn it off so driving is characteristics are changed ill find you the link so you can read up.

If you search on the Lokka.com website search for the 2006 model as its the cheapest locker but the same thing i have no idea why there is different prices but it will save you money lol

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”