Replacing struts and...

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

DanJetta

Replacing struts and...

Postby DanJetta » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:37 pm

I'm getting ready to replace my struts front and rear. Anything else I should replace while I'm in there? Strut mounts/bushings, for example?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:58 pm

You didn't mention what you were planning to install. Assuming you are going relatively stock, the Nissan front struts are pretty good and are essentially KYB G2/Excel units, which you can pick up at Rockauto.com, among other places; they have a lifetime warranty. IIRC, the hardware that comes with them is a bit "off" and you are better off sticking with the original equipment. You could also get a Monroe Quick-strut, which comes assembled with springs and makes for an easy swap.
For the rear, it's best to hit the aftermarket and get a good, monotube shock absorber. Most go with Bilstein HD's, but Monroe Reflex gets good reviews, as well. I would imagine KYB Gas-a-justs would work well, too, but by far, the Bilsteins are the most popular.
If you haven't done it already, $75 for a set of Airlift 1000 air bags for the rear is a great investment. It keeps the back end from bottoming out over bumps and if you tow, it'll keep the ass end from sagging.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:23 am

Thanks! I bought Bilstein HDs for the front and back and I have the Airlift 1000 in there now (love them).

Any bushings or mounts I should swap? When I did the struts in my Jetta, it was recommended to also do the strut mounts, which were a pretty integral part of the system. I've never done a truck before and the system appears to be somewhat simpler but slightly different.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:00 am

Your Jetta would have strut bearings in the mount, because the top of the strut turns with the steering. On the R51, the top of the strut doesn't turn, so no bearing. Most of the time you can get away without the top mount and re-use the originals. If it makes you for more comfortable doing the mounts, they are available.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:19 am

Exactly the info I needed. Thank you!

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”