Sandblasted windshield

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Gray

Sandblasted windshield

Postby Gray » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:02 pm

Just wondering how often PF drivers change out their windshields, after about a years use this windshield looks like toast. Is it better to stay with OEM replacement or to go aftermarket and if so which aftermarket windscreen glass product might be best?

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:15 pm

I had to change out my windshield after a small accident that dented the hood. We didn't realize the latch was destroyed and the hood flew open and smashed the windshield when we were on the freeway. Luckily, no one was hurt, but I was driving blind in shear panic until I was able to pull over.

Anyway, go with OEM. The body repair shop initially replaced it with some aftermarket crap, but I complained about some anomolies in the curvature and they replaced it with a Nissan OEM.

markspath

Postby markspath » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:45 pm

Actually, I'm kinda surprised at how soft the windshield glass is. I had my Honda Pilot for 2 years and took some major stone hits with nary a mark. But the Nissan windshield is showing considerable pitting after just a year.

My concern with replacing the windshield with other than OEM is a) knowing how to pick better quality glass; b) leaks. So I'm not planning on changing it out anytime soon. But I do agree with you, it gets looking pretty grubby real fast.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:11 am

I've never heard of changing a windshield as a maintenance item...maybe increasing following distance will help avoid the sand and stones kicked up. 3 years, 47k miles on my original windshield and I don't believe there's a single mark.

markspath

Postby markspath » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:39 pm

I'm not driving the Pathfinder any differently or going anyplace I didn't go with the Pilot. Well, except for off-roading, but that doesn't involve any sand or stones hitting the windshield (unless I flip!).

Cr@2y Gr33k

Postby Cr@2y Gr33k » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:37 pm

Have had mine a little over a year and just one little mark from a pebble that hit the windshield. Don't see a need to replace it as it looks the same as windshields on my past cars did after being driven.

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:16 pm

I had to drive toward the sun again today and yeah I could count every sand etched dot on the windshield, maybe vehicle insurance will cover replacement.
With really minor offroad use this windscreen looks like it's been used on gravel roads continuously for probably 5 years. Thanks Nissan.

The glass type from the windshield corner says

NISSAN
Carlex AS1
DOT 467 M336

MEMOCAMPOS

windshield replacement

Postby MEMOCAMPOS » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:25 pm

I dont know if u guys have given much thought to polishing ur windshield but it works great, there is a company by the name of Griot's Garage they sell specific glass polish & mini orbital buffer. Might be good idea to this first before squeezing the trigger on a new windshield! 8)

Gray

Re: windshield replacement

Postby Gray » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:47 am

MEMOCAMPOS wrote:I dont know if u guys have given much thought to polishing ur windshield but it works great, there is a company by the name of Griot's Garage they sell specific glass polish & mini orbital buffer. Might be good idea to this first before squeezing the trigger on a new windshield! 8)
Thanks Memo, I looked at that but local insurance companies don't cover the cost and so that service is now scarce here. I'm still surprised that a Nissan windshield would get sand pitted this quickly. Most GM, Ford, etc, truck windshields that I've used have lasted 2-3 years on similar roads. Maybe a glass quality anomaly.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”