RE: Cold Air Intakes...POLL

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

What cold air intake system would you get?

Nissan OE part #16576-EA200 for $46
69%
Volant #12640 for $250 after rebate
31%
Injen Power Flow Air Intake System PF1959P for $378
No votes
aFe Power 51-76102 Momentum GT Pro DRY S Stage-2 Intake System for $425
No votes

Total votes: 13

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:42 am

Thupertrooper wrote:I read on here about a Nismo cai
Where can i look that up and what does it look like?
I'm running a airraid from a toyota tundra and all you get is more noise
I would run stock unless it got pricy just go cheapest after market thats not knn
Here's a link to it:

http://www.nissanautosports.com/nissan- ... 4-prd1.htm

This one looks exactly like it and a lot cheaper:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2015-FIT-F ... 1874540199

The AEM Brute Force is also a similar design. I'm not really impressed with the Nismo or K&N designs.

not on the rug

Re: intake

Postby not on the rug » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:47 am

smj999smj wrote:
I read through the first 15 of the 26 pages and then jumped to the last couple. I would have loved if somebody had actually compared the stock v. modified vs. Volant air boxes on a dyno to get some actual proof of benefits of cutting the snorkel. There are a lot of "theories," but it seems the only thing we actually know about the mod is that it makes it louder and keeps dirt better distributed across the filter media as opposed to just the right corner. There's no actual proof that the shortened snorkel does anything to increase airflow, reduce turbulence or increase power...and I don't accept "butt dynos" as a scientific tool. It "may" improve performance, I would just like to see some numbers to back it up, that's all.
I agree with you, and I don't believe butt dynos either. For 5 minutes worth of work, it can only have a positive impact though, right? I mean, there is absolutely no negative in doing the mod so that's why I did it. I would love to see a dyno comparison though.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:51 am

Kestral wrote:I would just go stock unless I was going to add a tune and or other mods. I own a 2013 Mustang GT with the 5.0 V8 and long story short I have an aftermarket cold air intake that on its own makes little difference in performance but with my Steeda Mustang tune gives the car quite a jump and it's worth it.
Now that it's paid off and I no longer have the monthly payment, I have been contemplating doing a few mods, but nothing too crazy. The intake spacer is high on the list as well as eliminating the post catalytic converters by either installing Doug Thorley pipes or gutting the original Nissan parts. OBX headers have been considered as they are similar to the discontinued Nismo headers and I've never been a fan of the stock "Y" inlet to the muffler. The performance CAI upgrade seemed logical, but most seem to say they haven't experienced any real performance gain other than sound. I would love to put on a Stillen supercharger, but that's just a bit more than I want to spend in upgrades!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:54 pm

Last night I ran across a thread at ClubTitan's site. It was a long thread---about 238 posts and 29 pages---but it was very interesting. One member apparently had some money to burn and access to his buddy's dyno and did a comparison of various CAI's and included the stock air box with the "Titan mod." Now, there are some variables to take into consideration: his Titan was significantly modified, so performance results may not be the same for a stock Titan, and, obviously, comparing Titans to Pathfinders is sort of like comparing apples to oranges, maybe a little less so if you have a V8 Pathy. He also tested two throttle body spacers.
In his finding, he found that all CAI's had an improvement over the stock box, mostly in the mid to high RPM range. It seems if you are one of those that rarely sees "aggressive" driving conditions, the stock air box is just fine. S&B Intake Systems had the best performing air intake, but, unfortunately, they only have a V8 Pathy system and none for us V6-ers. In second place was Volant (with the ram air scoop) and Injen. He noted the air scoop on the Volant was likely only beneficial on the highway at speeds 70MPH and up and the Volant was the noisier of the two systems. The Volant had better dyno numbers, but it was the Injen that had better performance numbers on the track. In general, all of the aftermarket cold air intake systems did pretty will and were pretty close on the dyno. So, if you read the thread, take from it what you will. The $250 Volant and the Injen PF1959P (polished), which I found for $310, or the Injen PF1959WB (wrinkle black) for $299, are looking much more attractive!
As far as the throttle body spacers, he seemed to feel that if there was any benefit, it was at before the point of where the dyno started reading. If there was any benefit, it was at low RPM, but most who have installed throttle body spacers seem to feel they were a waste of money. Here's the thread if you are interested:

http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13697

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:18 pm

This depends on what performance modifications you are pairing it up with.
Of coarse you will have more output out of a cai if you are running different exhuast,tuner,intake spacer etc than just a stock engine with cai
For best results match with other upgrades

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:40 pm

Yeah, that's why I said there were a few variables to take into consideration, but I thought it was interesting how the different systems acted on the same "test mule," so to speak. I do plan on adding the intake plenum spacer and maybe a little work on the exhaust and possibly a tuner. Still not sure if I want to go with the headers, but definitely want to eliminate the post converters and get rid of the factory "Y" in the pipe to the muffler.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:50 pm

smj999smj wrote:Yeah, that's why I said there were a few variables to take into consideration, but I thought it was interesting how the different systems acted on the same "test mule," so to speak. I do plan on adding the intake plenum spacer and maybe a little work on the exhaust and possibly a tuner. Still not sure if I want to go with the headers, but definitely want to eliminate the post converters and get rid of the factory "Y" in the pipe to the muffler.
SMJ is there any evidence that you will gain much from the headers? Or are the gains so small that the cost per power gain is not worth it? I guess what I'm saying is if you were to gain 25 HP but only at say 6,000 rpm really who cares as you are hardly ever up there?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:11 pm

"SMJ is there any evidence that you will gain much from the headers? Or are the gains so small that the cost per power gain is not worth it? I guess what I'm saying is if you were to gain 25 HP but only at say 6,000 rpm really who cares as you are hardly ever up there?"

According to the Frontier forums, there is a good amount of improvement from 3000 RPM to redline. The OBX is a copy of the Nismo header, which is no longer available. Those headers claimed an increase of 7.5 HP and 11.7 ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheels.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:33 pm

I'm starting to lean heavily towards getting the Volant system. I can get a Volant (Gen 3) with the Powercore filter for $247 online and receive a $25 gift card after purchase. The Powercore filter is a dry, re-usable filter made by Donaldson for Volant (for those that don't know Donaldson, they are well-known filtration manufacturer in the heavy equipment industry).
I'm going to have to spend a minimum of $50 if I choose the factory intake because my ducts are splitting and held together with tape, currently. So, really, if you take into consideration the $25 gift card which will probably end up in my gas tank, and deduct what I would have to pay anyway to replace with a stock Nissan part, it's really only costing me another $173 to upgrade to the Volant system. I'll make my decision November 16....a.k.a. "payday!"

SETI20

Postby SETI20 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:22 pm

Keep your eyes on the flanges of the OBX header. I have LOTS of bad experience with them (cough*I used to work for a retailer*cough)

The headers may borrow(steal) the design from the Nismo headers, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's half the gauge. Oh, and take "stainless" with a pinch (bag) of salt.
Did I mention that the welds are sheit? Yeah, combined with the heat of the exhaust ports, those like to come off right on the flange at the inside radius where it's the hottest. Heat wrap will help.

Their exhaust components are less troublesome. Less heat involved.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:42 pm

Yeah, I saw some pics of an OBX header from someone on a Frontier forum and wasn't overly impressed. I'm still decided on going with the headers, but if I do, I need to get it done before the end of the year because my friend is selling his shop and I won't be having a lift at my access. JBA shorties look a little more promising, but I if I go that route, I'd really like to use one with the Nismo style design as it seems to create a bit more torque than, say, Doug Thorley's.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to delete the post cats with some Doug Thorley mid-pipes and Gibson looks like one of the few cat-back performance exhausts for the V6 Pathy.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:27 am

The final decision came down to the Volant 12640 and the Injen PF1959P. The interesting thing about the Injen is that it incorporates a resonance chamber, as does our stock intake system. A lot of people, including myself at the time, think that the sole purpose of the resonator is for noise reduction, which indeed it does help. But it also helps with the air pulses that occur in the air of the intake system and has a performance advantage, as well. It seems the Volant is louder and has better dyno numbers, but the Injen resulted in better track performance, according to the info I read. However, the Injen would cost me another $75 over the Volant and with my friend possibly closes his shop down soon, I have to do as much as I can while I still have a lift; that $75 can go towards exhaust mods.
So, I'm ending it here and starting a new thread on the mods I have scheduled for my 06 Pathy LE. The 08 is staying stock for now. The intake system I'll be going with is the Volant 12640 w/ the Powercore dry filter. Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments!

forgottenzone

Postby forgottenzone » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:17 pm

Non of those intakes.
I had Volant for 3 years with power core. It got me to 4.39 seconds 0 to 60 with all my mods, on VK56.
JBA long tube headers, Uprev programer ETC.
AIRAID MXP new CAI, is the best CAI so far.
Only it comes with open filter box. So i made a hybrid aAiraid mxp tube with my Volant closed boz and R2C bleck hex air filter wjich can flow from 1,700 to 3k cfms, dry filter and cleaneble and reusable. The mxp pipe size atarts with 6 inch filter opening then 6inch velocity stack, then goes down to 4.8 inches, and gradually goews down to 4 inch opening at the throttle body. Not sure if its any different for V6. But i am sure itnwill give you best bang for the buck in stock form.
And headers are worth it as long as you have something like Uprev to be able to get your pathy tuned for it. All the performance mods are us less unless you have a way to tune for them, to get the maximum performance out of them. Otherwise, Stock ECU will re adjust itself and and your gains with any mods will end up being minor, if any at all.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”