4WD issue

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

ColinMcAteer

4WD issue

Postby ColinMcAteer » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:28 am

Hi all,

Looking for some help - I've done a change of all the transmission fluid and had the clutch changed and now have an issue with the 4WD system (just as the snow arrives)

For a while when I put the car in auto it would chirp and the 4 wheels would show on the dash but after a few miles of sub 30mph driving it would go back to displaying only the rear wheels on the dash - cycling the switch would bring the 4 wheels showing on the display again (but not for long)

Now I've got the 4WD warning light on and whilst the system still chirps when I cycle through the switch I have no 4WD diagram on the display.

Now, I got stuck on a hill this morning in some snow and in desperation cycled through the switch hoping for something - auto - nothing, 4wd Hi - nothing, 4WD lo - ESC light came on (4WD warning light still on) but I got traction from all four wheels.

I'm thinking it's something to do with the clutch pressure switch or similar but I don't know where to source these switches in the UK or if it's could to be a wiring issue.

It's a 2005 LE with 125000 miles on the clock.

Any pointer welcomed!

Thanks in advance..

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:05 pm

I'm in the USA and have a 2006 Pathfinder LE with the "AUTO" mode transfer case and had similar problems. When I checked the trouble codes, it came up with codes for the pressure switches, which are inside the transfer case. While searching for similar issues on the Pathfinder sites, I could find much info, but finally found similar issues on the Armada forums, which also have the "AUTO" mode transfer case.
When in "AUTO" mode, at idle, while in reverse, or during speeds below 35MPH, there is an electric transfer pump on the back side of the transfer case that runs to lubricate the wet clutch. During speeds over 35MPH, the transfer pump is turned off and the mechanical pump provides sufficient lubrication for the wet clutch.
While reading up in the Armada forums, I ran across some people that had problems with the transfer motor relay. I'm not sure where they are on the European models, but in North American Pathfinders, they are on the left, rear side of the engine compartment (near the brake booster). Apparently, the terminals inside the harness connector for the transfer relay lose tension and create a poor connection with the pins if the relay, itself. This causes the transfer motor to not operate when it should, which causes the low pressure sensors to trigger the codes.
What I did was remove the transfer relay from the harness connector and use a dental pick to carefully bend the terminals inside the harness connector slightly so that they would have a tighter connection with the relay pins once it was re-installed. I also use a Scotch bad to clean up the relay pins, but they were actually in pretty good shape and I doubt that was necessary. I reinstalled the relay and erased the codes and after that, I never had any problem and it's been about two years.
So, you may want to try that. The best thing is that it doesn't cost anything to do.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”