1997 OD Light Flashing and No Power

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Oleschool

1997 OD Light Flashing and No Power

Postby Oleschool » Tue May 10, 2016 11:41 am

My 97 was running just fine then today when I started it the CEL came on and the truck was sluggish and jerking on acceleration. I then noticed the od light flashing and the lack of power.

I haven't checked the codes yet but wanted to put it out there to see what I get back.What is the problem?

Oleschool

Postby Oleschool » Wed May 11, 2016 7:25 am

I had several codes including bank 1 o2 sensor,knock sensor,emissions systems and a gear 1 and gear 2 out of range.Sorry I did not save the P #s.I cleared the codes last night but now theres still a miss.In neutral when I put it to the floor it struggles to hit 4000 rpm.

This was a good running truck with new dist cap,plugs fuel filter,knock sensor,o2 sensor and more.

Any ideas what could be causing this

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed May 11, 2016 3:50 pm

Well, the knock sensor code makes sense if you are experiencing a misfire. Was the Bank 1 oxygen sensor code for the front or rear? Hopefully you used NGK plugs and not Bosch Platinums or Champions, which have been known to cause drivability issues. Always check your basics: ignition timing (if the timing is off quite a bit, you may have had the timing belt jump a tooth or two), compression, fuel pressure, exhaust back pressure. When was the last time the timing belt was replaced? Distributors are a common source of problems on these engines.

Oleschool

Postby Oleschool » Sun May 22, 2016 12:19 pm

Turns out it was the MAF sensor. I used carb cleaner on a Q-tip and carefully cleaned it.The VSS also needed to be replaced.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon May 23, 2016 11:32 am

See if you are getting an AC voltage signal out of the speed sensor before you replace it. Typically, you'll measure about 1 volt for every 10 mph. If you are getting a signal, it may not be the VSS, rather the speedometer head. The mid-90's Nissan were notorious for speedometer head failures. The threads develop cracks in them where the four bolts screw into the back of the head, which hold the head to the cluster as well as create the electrical contact between the head and the printed circuit. When this happens, it creates a poor connection, resulting in P0500 codes and/or no or erratic speedometer/odometer operation. You can pull the cluster out and tighten the screws, which will sometimes correct the issue for a given amount of time, but, ultimately, replacing the speedometer head.

Oleschool

Postby Oleschool » Mon May 23, 2016 11:44 am

After clearing the codes yesterday and driving it around the problems seem to be gone.

Thanks

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”