newbie -questions

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

driftson

newbie -questions

Postby driftson » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:57 pm

jut picked up a 98 path couple questions
will frontier grilles swap?98-98 etc.
also what models came with lsd-
and this p0300 code is drivin me nuts but im meddling with it
do's and dont's please-

gonna be a daily and little offroad mainly just driving threw dirt roads for hunting-
already orders 16x8 wheels, and 26570r16 tires.warn hubs, and i need to get new rear bushings for axle arms.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: newbie -questions

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:12 am

driftson wrote:jut picked up a 98 path couple questions
will frontier grilles swap?98-98 etc.
also what models came with lsd-
and this p0300 code is drivin me nuts but im meddling with it
do's and dont's please-

gonna be a daily and little offroad mainly just driving threw dirt roads for hunting-
already orders 16x8 wheels, and 26570r16 tires.warn hubs, and i need to get new rear bushings for axle arms.
96-99 Pathfinder grilles will interchange with each other, but not with the Frontier. There were two grilles available, dark gray and chrome with gray.

I believe the LSD diffs were optional on the SE models. Easy way to tell if you have one is to jack up the rear end and put the trans in neutral. Grab one of the wheels and turn it forward. If the opposite side turns in the same direction, you have LSD. If it turns in the opposite direction, you have an open rear.

It is a lot easier to replace the entire rear suspension link than to R&R the bushings. Rockauto.com has Dorman links which have a lifetime warranty. I would recommend you get new bolts from Nissan, as they have a tendency to rust to the steel sleeve inside the bushing and they may need to be cut out with a Sawzall.

P0300 code could be a number of things. Check your secondary ignition system: distributor cap & rotor, ignition wires, spark plugs. Stick with genuine Nissan or NGK parts! Distributors are known to go bad when they get a lot of miles on them. Fuel injectors are a common issue on VG engines and there was a TSB on the matter, recommending a professional fuel injection service, like those offered by 3M and BG that run the engine off of a container with chemical, pressurized by and air line and regulated to 36 PSI. If the cleaning doesn't work, the injector(s) should be replaced.

DO's:
Get a factory service manual, either a used, paper copy from Ebay or a downloadable manual (try Nico Club's site for a free copy).
Use quality, OEM parts, like NGK, Bando, KYB, Hitachi, etc., or genuine Nissan, whenever possible.
Replace the timing belt if it's due or if you don't know when the last time it's been replaced. Interval is 105,000 miles and it is an interference engine.
Check for any outstanding campaigns or recalls and have them performed. You can enter your VIN at Nissan's site and find out or call customer hotline, 1-800-NISSAN-1. The website is quicker.
Do know that the fuel filter is located under the vehicle, above the rear axle, and replace if it looks like it's been there a long time!

DONT's:
Don't put off replacing your timing belt if it's due!
Don't believe there is a better spark plug for your engine other than NGK.
Don't use Dexron III/Mercon to service the automatic transmission, if you have one; use Nissan-matic Type "D" ATF or an aftermarket synthetic, like Valvoline Maxlife ATF or Castrol Transmax Import Multi-vehicle ATF.
Don't expect a lot of power out of the VG33E nor expect good gas mileage.

driftson

Postby driftson » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:28 am

thank you, timing belt was just done. ya i learned about using quality parts on my sr20det thanks again

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”