LED Light Bar V.S. spotlights and or KC style bulbs

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

LEDs V.S. Spotlights

LEDS
100%
Spotlights
No votes

Total votes: 5

FindingBacon

LED Light Bar V.S. spotlights and or KC style bulbs

Postby FindingBacon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:43 pm

I'm finding that my stock headlights and fog lights aren't enough when I'm driving and on trails later in the evening and at night. I'm a college student on a somewhat tight budget but I almost need more light so I'm wondering what will be a better investment LED light bars, or traditional. I'm not saying I can only get one, but Id rather try to keep it to one or the other. Thanks!

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:32 am

Easiest thing to do, for a start, is upgrade the factory fogs. Remove them, cut the pigtail connectors off each lamp, wire the pigtails onto your new lights and mount them. You keep the factory switch and they stay legal by turning off when your high beams come on. Leds are great and will draw less. If you go with a conventional light just check the amp draw so you don't exceed the stock fuse.

For headlights, you could go with a HID kit. The Sylvania super white bulbs (or whatever they are called) do make a difference but don't have very much longevity. LED replacement bulbs are still kind of hit or miss. Many scatter light in the wrong places.

Hdinsmore94

Postby Hdinsmore94 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:37 pm

I've had my fair share of light set ups, (ARB intensity 9" spot lights, 50" Osram curved light bars and many more), and I strongly recommend Osram light bars. By far the best value lights I've ever owned. So greatly priced, strong and damn bright.

FindingBacon

Postby FindingBacon » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:49 pm

Thanks guys, these were very helpful ill look into doin those upgrades when I get the money.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:34 am

I just ordered the Phillips Vision Plus halogen headlight bulbs.
Supposed to be pretty bright and legal too (no blinding on-coming traffic)

I definitely recommend the LED path...easy to install and low wattage!
But don't discount a good HID spotlight if you have a roof rack for your off-road adventures.

I'll post a pic of my latest project which is a combo of LED and HID spots on my Yakima roof rack.

FindingBacon

Postby FindingBacon » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:19 am

Cool interested in seeing those pics. I have a rage roof rack/ basket so I have a little bit of mounting capability up there. Also I noticed in your bio you mentioned skid plates. I'm looking into making a custom skid plate, any tips for that?

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:09 pm

So I finally got the lights installed and hooked up!

I installed water proof plugs so the roof rack can come off when needed.

My old 20" is now the camp light.

Here's where I put the switch for the camp light.

The only way to describe the light output is to imagine the sun shinning it's light in front of the truck...it's really that crazy bright! 8)

punkrawker

Postby punkrawker » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:26 pm

i would have put the rear switch up front........i hate tail gaters :P really like the set up you have otherwise

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:34 am

Well...I purposely put it back there because
I know full we'll I'd use it on occasion. But it's
bright enough to cause the driver behind me
some temporary blindness and possibly get into
an accident!
But that big light staring at you is probably a
deterrent all by itself! ;)

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”