mcm4090

Sliders from Black Widow Off-Road

Postby mcm4090 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:00 pm

Just passing on the info.

sliders available for: Fronty's, Pathy's, X's, Titan's and Armadas

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f70/ ... fer-37111/

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:28 am

good heads up on the alternate supplier.... but there completely cantilevered off the frame. makes me wonder if they are going to bend/break at the frame connection plate.

plus, the basic rock rails from from rocky-road.com are $90 less than the "retail price" of these. and, supersliders are $20 less than retail price. the post says you can get them for $349 until 10/31. but even then, the basic rocky road rails are still cheaper.

also, in my opinion, the super sliders look way nicer than those.

~mike

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:34 pm

MonkeyMike wrote:there completely cantilevered off the frame.
I noticed that too but in the thread someone posted about them being wrapped around the frame. I'm inclined to believe the pictures though. I do see there is a small triangular gusset on the top side of the rails though. I'd like to see a little bit more than just that.

I just re-read the thread and there has been some updates. According to the new information it does wrap around. Although it requires custom welding. And I didn't notice it but it was pointed out that this "low" price offering you only get a two legged rail and it only has 2 single bolt holes. Not very much support really and definitely not so hot in terms of what would happen if you have one bolt failure. To get a 3 support beam you have to pay extra.

I think I'd pass.

mcm4090

Postby mcm4090 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:14 am

MonkeyMike wrote:good heads up on the alternate supplier.... but there completely cantilevered off the frame. makes me wonder if they are going to bend/break at the frame connection plate.

plus, the basic rock rails from from rocky-road.com are $90 less than the "retail price" of these. and, supersliders are $20 less than retail price. the post says you can get them for $349 until 10/31. but even then, the basic rocky road rails are still cheaper.

also, in my opinion, the super sliders look way nicer than those.

~mike
Most sliders are mounted to the frame.

The rocky road slider mount to the body.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:25 pm

mcm4090 wrote:Most sliders are mounted to the frame.

The rocky road slider mount to the body.
The rocky-road sliders are mounted to both the frame and body.

mcm4090

Postby mcm4090 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:57 pm

I see. On the frontier the Rock-Road sliders mount to the body only.
http://www.rocky-road.com/frontierrockrail.html

I would be afraid of the slider flexing at the body.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:42 pm

Sounds like their Frontier product is like a rocker replacement style only it doesn't replace, just bolts over. But I love this quote:

"We've had questions about the mounting system. Some kits mount to the frame for this vehicle.... bad, bad idea. Unless you are planning to weld the rock sliders to your frame and are skilled enough not to overheat and create more problems, after a few whacks, the bolts on frame mounted rock sliders will begin to loosen and tear out. The problem is that the frame is so far out from the point of impact, that leverage is fighting against you. Actually put those kits to the test and they will work loose and fail over time. Don't be duped, be smart... you can't fight leverage when several thousand lbs comes crashing down on a rock or log. "

Isn't the Pathy product a frame mount? lol. Yes, I know it also sandwiches the body seam, I just think it's funny they essentially call their own product crap.

mcm4090

Postby mcm4090 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:28 pm

Black widow offroad just posted this...
blackwidowoffroad.com;572896 wrote:Do you live in or near Utah? Black Widow Off-Road is currently developing prototypes for gen 1 Frontiers, Pathys, Titan's, Armadas, and dare I say Tacos and Tundras too.

We need all cab styles and wheel bases for measurements. If you have a Gen 1, or any of the others and you live in Utah, please bring your vehicle to our shop for measurements. If your interested in body armor, sliders, bumpers, anything, we will price your components at 10% over our cost just for being the first!

Bring your vehicle by if you get a chance and please pass the word on to anyone you know with other makes and models.

We are counting on word of mouth, so please spread the word!

Our address if you are interested:

365 W 9000 S
Sandy, Ut. 84070

Pass it on....

Erik
who is in Utah!??

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:00 am

mcm4090 wrote: who is in Utah!??
I think I'm still the only one. I don't really need anything aside from skids, and from some of the pricing they have online, I'm guessing they will be a bit on the expensive side (even with the discount for being first). If I'm in the area, maybe I'll stop by and have a chat with them.

Have to say that their rock sliders are the closest to the definition of slider than anyone else.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:22 pm

I agree, I saw NVSteve's setup. It's a real slider.
However, the Shrockworks is up there as a true slider as well. Attaches to the frame also.

You can't go wrong with either setup. The Rocky-Roads are closer to the body giving a more integrated look. The Shrockworks stick out and up a bit more and flush with the frame height, and you get a great step side as well as helps in protecting the sides since it is inline with the tires/wheels than just the body.

Take a look: here's my Shrockworks sliders:

And underneath. See the sliders on the left?

mcm4090

Postby mcm4090 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:32 pm

Oh I like the Shrockwork. I have them on my truck.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”