Electric vs clutch fan

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

blackelk

Electric vs clutch fan

Postby blackelk » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:13 am

Hey guys, Im new here, so please be gentle. I picked up a 98 pathfinder a few months ago, and took it in for an oil change, and the mechanic said I need a new fan clutch. Looking into it, I found that most people just "upgrade" to an electric fan when they want their car to run well. I plan to do it myself with a friend who has done this before, and if I do it will still be cheaper than having the shop replace just the fan clutch. I know I dont have a race car that needs crazy equipment, but if I can get my Pathy to run better for the same price or cheaper, that is kind of what I want to do.

My question is: should I convert to electric or stick with the belt driven fan? I just want to be sure that im not missing something here.

Thanks guys

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:07 am

Which e-fan are you looking at?

IMHO I'd stay stock. You can get an aftermarket clutch for we'll under $100. And if you wanted to go oem, courtesy has it for $161.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:46 pm

Well, a couple of things here... First of all, an electric fan is not going to make the engine run any better. It will take a little bit of drag off of the crank, but only at times when the fan clutch would normally be engaged and not free-wheeling, and it takes a little weight off the front of the engine.
If you replace the fan clutch with an electric fan design, you still have to remove the fan and clutch and then have the labor of installing the new electric fan assembly, wiring, sensor and controller, so, you really aren't saving anything in regards to labor.
Personally, I would just stick with the fan clutch. It's easy to replace and it works. I would stick with a genuine Nissan part, however, as aftermarket fan clutches have had a history of inconsistent build quality on Nissans.

blackelk

Postby blackelk » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:31 pm

Sweet, sounds good. I will simply replace that fan clutch. Thanks for the advice!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”