Slipping in reverse

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Netdewt

Slipping in reverse

Postby Netdewt » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:18 pm

I have a 2008 Pathfinder LE I bought a month ago with 67k miles. Everything has been great. The dealership claimed to have done a thorough check of the radiator and trans for any signs of damage due to the mixing issue. I bought a CSF radiator with plans to swap within the month.

Just today I was unable to back the truck up a driveway. It seems like the trans is slipping in reverse. At first I thought maybe it was ice, but it seems to be happening on dry pavement and even a flat parking lot now. I tried 2wd, auto, and 4hi with the same results. Forward drive seems to be unaffected.

Anyone know what's happening? Is the trans blowing up?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:01 pm

It's impossible to say what the problem is without doing the diagnostics. It "could" be a bad reverse solenoid on the valve body; Nissan doesn't sell these separate from the TCM/valve body assembly, but, they can sometimes be located on the aftermarket with some online searching. It could be an issue with the valve body, itself, and while it is a costly repair, it is much less expensive than replacing the transmission. It could be the reverse clutch drum, itself, which would basically require an overhaul...or, at least, R&R and teardown of the transmission.
The factory service manual provides a symptom chart in the automatic transmission section which will gives the possible causes for a no reverse condition and rank them in order of likelihood. It will also provide a link to where the diagnostic steps are in the manual to follow to confirm exactly what the problem is. This may require doing a stall test and line pressure tests along with circuit tests and will require transmission oil pressure gauges, a capable scan tool and a multimeter. Some of the tests you may be able to do yourself, but some may require taking the vehicle to a reputable transmission shop, dealer or an independent shop that has a technician competent in transmission diagnosis.

Netdewt

Postby Netdewt » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:28 pm

Thanks.

I just brought it in. I sure hope whatever it is will be covered under warranty. I bought one for a year and the dealer supposed included one for 30 days.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”