Trans problems.. Can I check TCM codes?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

drbrutal

Trans problems.. Can I check TCM codes?

Postby drbrutal » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:24 pm

Hello all,

So here's my issue: (2007 Pathy V6)

A few years ago, the radiator had failed and trans mixed with coolant, but was fixed and everything has been fine until just a couple days ago. Suddenly (after returning from a trip, nothing was wrong before we left) the car won't shift into 2nd, and has lack of power in 1st, and studders a bit. The trans isn't slipping, but it simply won't shift.

Another issue (probably unrelated) it feels like the diff would attempt to lock or change from 2WD to 4WD despite the mode which was selected, and grind/thump/vibrate randomly at any speed... According to my girlfriend this has been an issue for years, with no DTCs.

Am I able to check DTCs without the Consult program? I've got a nice J2534 Passthru cable which I've used for other in-depth diagnostics and tuning on other makes, if I am able to find a program to use.

Thanks guys.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:05 pm

You failed to mention if the transmission was replaced when it was "fixed," or, was the transmission just flushed? What often happens when the trans fluid is cross-contaminated is that the shift solenoids start to fail, which may be what is happening in your case. You would have to do some diagnostics, but, if it is one or more of the solenoids, Nissan only offers them as part of the TCM/valve body assembly. Sometimes you can find a place that will sell these solenoids individually.
I would download a factory service manual for your Pathy. You'll be able to find out what is needed to read trouble codes in the various systems and whether they require a capable scan tool or can be read by performing a series of actions.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”