URGENT! Please help!!! Transmission temp gauge install issue

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

DMRPHY03

URGENT! Please help!!! Transmission temp gauge install issue

Postby DMRPHY03 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:09 am

Ok, so I bought an Autometer 4357 Ultra-Lite temp gauge for my 08 Path since I did the bypass. I got EVERYTHING installed and ready to go (looks great!); however, I cant get the stupid sending unit sensor to thread into the side of the tranny!!! :evil: I have been under my truck for an hour trying to thread one bolt. I have checked and double checked that the size is 1/8" NPT or whatever, and thats what the forums are saying the bolt is on the side of the tranny, so whats the problem? PLEASE HELP!

I can thread the bolt about half a thread or so and then when i go to tighten it down it backs out EVERY time, I have no clue what to do. its so frustrating considering the rest of the job is totally done, just needs to be connected to that sensor that i cant seem to thread in. THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY PROMPT RESPONSES AND I APOLOGIZE FOR THE URGENCY! I am just super frustrated and want to get this done!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:27 am

does the configuration of the sensor bolt appear to be the same as the one it is replacing (diameter, thread pitch, taper, length, etc)?
is it too long and jamming up against something in the transmission that will not allow it to thread in?
if you suspect that, try poking a punch of screwdriver into the threaded hole and see how far it will go in, and compare that to the length of the sensor bolt.
any burrs or thread damage or defects to either the sensor bolt or the transmission case threads?
other than that.............. :?

fidelcastrol

Postby fidelcastrol » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:11 pm

If you can't screw it into the tranny you could always get a brass tee from the holmes depot or lowes and monitor fluid temp on the hose going to the cooler, or you could call Summit Racing and they can steer you in the right direction.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:52 am

Based on what I've read, I will also be going the 'brass tee' method of installing the sensor. The tee would be cheaper to replace/fix than the tranmission in case the threads get buggered.

The test port you are trying to use can be used, but you will need to used a lot of thread sealant to ensure no leaks.

Do not over tighten. However, if you do (or did already) its likely you damaged the threads on your sender, and not the transmission (brass is softer than the aluminum casing on the transmission). Keep in mind that the sender has NPT threads, which are tapered and when threaded into a straight thread hole, will allow you to continue tightening more than you should.

Hopefully this works, someone had your issue several years ago, it buried in the thread below:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... f6815cc8ee

DMRPHY03

Postby DMRPHY03 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:02 am

Thanks a lot for the responses guys, I really appreciate it!

I ended up getting frustrated with it and took it to a tranny shop and they got me fixed up for $40. I need to let eieio know that he hit it on the head though. Apparently on the 08 and up models theres a piece of metal inside the test port that blocks anything much longer than the factory bolt to go in. They basically just shaved the brass sender down, put sealant on it and it went right in! I'm super happy to have it done now, the gauge looks amazing! It looks like it came on the truck, ended up matching the trim perfectly.

Thanks again for the input!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:18 am

:D

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:25 am

Pictures of the end result?

DMRPHY03

Postby DMRPHY03 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:00 am

volvite wrote:Pictures of the end result?
I'll see what I can do...not real sure if I know how to post pictures on here :oops:

racerken

Transmission gauge question

Postby racerken » Tue May 28, 2013 11:19 am

Hi,

My radiator failed at 103k miles and I didn't bypass it in time... anyway, I caught the problem and installed a transmission cooler and gauge. All is well but the problem is that the gauge is ON all the time.

1. Sensor is via brass T (cooler -> Wix in-line filter -> T with sensor) with ground to the engine.
2. gauge is mounted on top of the dash (to simulate high school times).
3. Gauge Electrical:
Sensor feed is directly from sensor to gauge.
Ground to Gauge Light and Sensor is to the 12 volt cigarette lighter BLACK.
Power to Gauge Light and Sensor is to the 12 volt cigarette lighter RED.

I can only imagine that the power is always on to the 12 volt cigarette lighter and the ground switches on and off?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ken

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue May 28, 2013 11:33 am

One of the cigarette lighters on the front console is constant, and the other is not. Perhaps you hooked up to the constant power one.

On mine, the top one is switched, and the bottom one is constant. The plug in the armrest console is switched, and the one in the rear hatch area is constant.

t

racerken

Postby racerken » Tue May 28, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks, I'm going home to rip the dash apart again!!!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue May 28, 2013 11:39 am

do you have a pic of your install?

Also, most of the gauges I have seen have a switch on them, could you do this with yours?

racerken

Postby racerken » Tue May 28, 2013 12:04 pm

No switch because it reminds me of what I did in high school just to impress the girls:
switch for main power
switch for oil pump
switch for gauge lights
switch for auxiliary fan..

I'll post pictures later today!

racerken

Postby racerken » Tue May 28, 2013 2:50 pm

Here are the pictures:

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/51342168@N06/8871408147/[/img]

This is the Temp Sender that I made up from a T and pipe to tube ends. I also inserted a grounding strap. Every copper surface was gooped with permatex because it's salty here in Michigan during the winter. I have a Wix in-line filter to catch any micro particles (it also has a magnet).

[url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/51342168@N06/8872021366/[/url
]
This is the gauge location. The 2-1/16" diameter gauge is too large to fit into the airbag warning light hole so I put it up top.
The beer is optional equipment when in the garage.

Thanks for the advice, it worked.

how do you post pictures?[/url]

MarkSheriff

Postby MarkSheriff » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:02 pm

can anyone tell me or post a picture as to where the transmission test port is located exactly?
i plan to buy a gauge and install soon.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”