serpentine belt tensioner issue

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

fordpu999

serpentine belt tensioner issue

Postby fordpu999 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:44 pm

My serpentine belt has just "come off" twice in the past 2 weeks. first time thought it was just a fluke...2nd time, obviously not. assuming tensioner issue..all pulleys appear in alignment and no movement on belt while running. my question...today, attempted to remove the tension assembly to replace, and the bolt won't back out far enough without hitting the fan hub. totally stumped on this one. everything I've read says piece of cake to change it out...and it should be. any advice would be awesome (really don't wanna visit the mechanic down the street) and thanks in advance. (oh, it's 2006 pathy)

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: serpentine belt tensioner issue

Postby eieio » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:04 pm

fordpu999 wrote:My serpentine belt has just "come off" twice in the past 2 weeks. first time thought it was just a fluke...2nd time, obviously not. assuming tensioner issue..all pulleys appear in alignment and no movement on belt while running. my question...today, attempted to remove the tension assembly to replace, and the bolt won't back out far enough without hitting the fan hub. totally stumped on this one. everything I've read says piece of cake to change it out...and it should be. any advice would be awesome (really don't wanna visit the mechanic down the street) and thanks in advance. (oh, it's 2006 pathy)
been there, done that.......
this is my post from a year ago
it just takes the right combination of tools to get the bolt out
I was able to loosen & tighten the bolt with a 14mm Snap-On Flex Head Open End Combo wrench with a suitable piece of pipe slipped over the open end for increased torque............
Also, you should replace the belt with a new OEM belt.
eieio wrote:
eieio wrote:
smj999smj wrote:No....either way will work.
thanks !
I'm having trouble accessing the tensioner assy bolt, because the fan is in the way.
Any way to work around the fan, or does it have to come off?
And if it does have to come off, does the whole fan assy mounting bracket have to be removed?
If the bracket has to be removed, how does one torque the tensioner assy
bolt?
:?
Well, I would have liked to have torqued the tensioner adjuster holding bolt "to torque", but opted to tighten it with the same pivoting combo wrench that I used to remove it (an educated "good & tight").
To go the other route would have been the proverbial "Federal Production".
Curious to know what anyone else has used for this operation.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”